• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Richtofen scale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Richtofen scale

The Richtofen scale is a bit like the richter scale. its a measure of how soon after some disaster its ok to fly a joke about it.

So, the storm at moushole was a 2 on the richtofen scale, because the place had a funny name.
    Heysel was a four , because we all hate scousers, (except me, because Im a scouser).

The Faklands war was a five, it was ten years before a wargame based on the falklands was published, any sooner was 'bad taste'

its a minefield. except princess Di jokes about minefields are a 1 on the Richtofen scale.

So what are the Richtofen rules ?

Dont ask me. I dont know.

But I do know when I will make a joke about sh1t.

If it happens to my city or country - fair game
    If it happens to an organisation that I am or was a part of - fair game
    If it happens to my family - fair game
    If it happens to a country that I have spent a lot of time in - fair game
    If I have ever been in a tsunami - tsunamis are fair game
    etc

basically, if I have a close attachment, I can take the p1ss, and I can stand having it taken

but if its a place , incident or horror that I have no experience of, I feel the need to zip it.

I have never been in an earthquake, tsunami or nuclear meltdown, or spent 10 tears living as a jap.
    so I will bow out of this one and zip it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Richthofen

But I'm inclined to agree. It's not a laughing matter.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Hey! You're are a very wise chap EO!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        The Richtofen scale is a bit like the richter scale. its a measure of how soon after some disaster its ok to fly a joke about it.

So, the storm at moushole was a 2 on the richtofen scale, because the place had a funny name.
        Heysel was a four , because we all hate scousers, (except me, because Im a scouser).

The Faklands war was a five, it was ten years before a wargame based on the falklands was published, any sooner was 'bad taste'

its a minefield. except princess Di jokes about minefields are a 1 on the Richtofen scale.

So what are the Richtofen rules ?

Dont ask me. I dont know.

But I do know when I will make a joke about sh1t.

If it happens to my city or country - fair game
        If it happens to an organisation that I am or was a part of - fair game
        If it happens to my family - fair game
        If it happens to a country that I have spent a lot of time in - fair game
        If I have ever been in a tsunami - tsunamis are fair game
        etc

basically, if I have a close attachment, I can take the p1ss, and I can stand having it taken

but if its a place , incident or horror that I have no experience of, I feel the need to zip it.

I have never been in an earthquake, tsunami or nuclear meltdown, or spent 10 tears living as a jap.
        so I will bow out of this one and zip it

It's an interesting concept, and new to me, so thank you. The other category is (as you hint):

If it happens to Princess Di, it's fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It's an interesting concept, and new to me, so thank you. The other category is (as you hint):

Ditto on the concept.

As for Princess Di. I think if the scale of faux media anguish is so widely out of proportion then it's fair game.

In this case (Japan) it isn't.

Comment

Well, famous people generally are fair game, esp if they are being twattish, although I think I would draw the line at someone's kids dying or something like that.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Hey! You're are a very wise chap EO!
              Well, he is...... for a scouser
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Well, famous people generally are fair game, esp if they are being twattish, although I think I would draw the line at someone's kids dying or something like that.
                I think there's something about power differential. It's OK for the powerless to mock the powerful. I found the Russell Brand / Andrew Sachs incident distasteful because Brand used his position of power (access to broadcasting media) to laugh at Sachs's expense.

Comment

I think there's something about power differential. It's OK for the powerless to mock the powerful. I found the Russell Brand / Andrew Sachs incident distasteful because Brand used his position of power (access to broadcasting media) to laugh at Sachs's expense.
                  For which he got the sach.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    For which he got the sach.
                    Que??
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X