• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobsworths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobsworths

From the torygraph's live coverage of the Japan disaster;

A British rescue team said it has been prevented from travelling to the disaster zone in Japan because the embassy in Tokyo refused to issue the necessary documentation.

Willie McMartin, from the International Rescue Corps, said a team of 12 volunteers had been give permission by the Japanese embassy in London to join the rescue effort in the north of the country.

But when they arrived in Tokyo, they were unable to get any further because the British Embassy would not give them the papers they needed.

Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt said he would look into what had happened.

"I will see what the situation is in relation to Mr McMartin's case and we will get an answer extremely quickly
    FFS. (sorry, can't think of anything more to say about that)
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    FFS. (sorry, can't think of anything more to say about that)
    Tar. Feathers. Some assembly required.
    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

They should really start publicly sacking Bureaucratic tw*ts when they do things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        They should really start publicly sacking Bureaucratic tw*ts when they do things like that.
        Fair comment.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          +1

Comment

Saw this on the news earlier. Only, I couldn't quite get a grasp of what the story was - they have the BBC News channel on mute here, with some knobber typing the subtitles with his feet by the looks of it.

I bet whoever it was who refused to provide the documentation, used to work as a doctor's receptionist.
            Last edited by MaryPoppins; 16 March 2011, 12:20. Reason: removed bad word and replaced with knobber
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Saw this on the news earlier. Only, I couldn't quite get a grasp of what the story was - they have the BBC News channel on mute here, with some spazzer typing the subtitles with his feet by the looks of it.

I bet whoever it was who refused to provide the documentation, used to work as a doctor's receptionist.
              I would like to point out that I find the term spazzer deeply offensive. I've always preferred "Joey" or, more recently, "window licker".

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                I would like to point out that I find the term spazzer deeply offensive. I've always preferred "Joey" or, more recently, "window licker".

Thank you.
                Spazzer is quite offensive actually. I will remove it
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Spazzer is quite offensive actually. I will remove it
                  Now you've made me feel guilty about my post. I'll qualify that when I use the expressions, it's done with affection.

Comment

After moving to a new town and making new friends, some of whom are disabled, I was shocked that they refer to themselves as "Crips".

As a fellow disabled person myself, it took a while to get in to their thinking, but essentially, they are claiming it back for their own. (If anyone has seen Clerks II, remember the porch monkey routine ?)

A lot of it has come from the more militant members of the community, who are fed up with ever-constantly changing labels whilst people try and pussy-foot around us and not offend us. So basically, we're saying (or at least our group is saying), chill out, we're crips, we're happy with the term, use it. TBH, to see the look of confusion on normal folks faces is worth it sometimes.

But there is something more important at stake, and the real point being that in the never-ending PC climate of fear which is constantly unsettling and threatening people, ever-changing labels means an ever-changing identity, and we feel that this in itself makes us invisible. We are dehumanised by the lack of identification.

So, crips we are, and we even have our own crips club for members and their families. The identification and following association really does bring us together.

Check out Liz Carr who is bit of hero in the crip community.

Next up was Liz Carr, a wheelchair user whose brand of comedy is edgy and almost uncomfortable. She talks of ‘spazzing up’ and delivers some filthy material that makes no secret of the fact disabled people are as sexually motivated as the rest of us. Some comedy was, perhaps, sacrificed for point-making, but the laughs still came solidly from this honest, uncompromising set.”

Chortle 4 star review of Abnormally Funny People at Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2005
                    Liz Carr is the dark and dangerous heart of the Abs, and improves with every performance. Tonight she is smooth, and bristling with confidence, with each gag narrated in her inimitable gobby, cynical style. There are no sacred cows here, no impairment is safe, and no crip scenario that cannot be held up for examination and shared laughter.”

Penny Pepper reviewing Abnormally Funny People for DAIL
                    “Liz Carr is a stand-up who can barely stand up, so from her motorised wheelchair delivers a set revolving around her disability and reactions to it – an entirely understandable obsession. She’s got bags of attitude – provocatively referring to herself as a ‘crip’, for instance – and a confidence in her delivery, even if the quality of the material is variable. But, to put it bluntly, she’s got one hell of an angle, and the right approach to talking about it. Compared to that, polishing the gags should only be a matter of time.”

Steve Bennett, Chortle

and another great comedian, Josh Blue

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X