• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making sense of radiation doses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making sense of radiation doses

A lot of ways of expressing doses are being used that span different periods of time amongst other things, and as it's not easy gauging the radiological effect at the best of times (e.g eating or breathing the stuff is really bad), here's a comparisons list I made. The most common unit currently being used for the radiological effect on humans in the media is the sievert.

Sievert (Sv) "equivalent dose" (old measure was rem). 1 Sv = 1 J/kg = 1 m^2/s^2 = 100 rem

Prefixes
    m = milli = 1*10^-3
    μ
    = micro = 1*10^-6
    n = nano = 1*10^-9
    p = pico = 1*10^-12

Watch out for milli and micro as they are easily confused, especially their respective prefix symbols, and to top it all when copying μ, it pastes here as an m! Hope I caught them all. Maybe μ still displays here as an m in your browser.

Single dose
    0.1 μSv = Banana
    185 μSv = Flight from Tokyo to London & back
    0.04 mSv = Chest x-ray = 2 to 3 years of background radiation
    1-3 Sv = Recovery probable but not assured
    3-6 Sv = Death probable if not treated
    10+ Sv = Incapacitation and death

Per hour
    6 μSv / hour = Aircraft flight
    1 Sv / hour = Nausea
    2.5 Sv / hour = Hair loss and possible death

Per year
    0.4 mSv / year = Radioactivity of a human
    1 mSv / year = Max recommended exposure for public from human sources
    2 mSv / year = Natural background (up to 50 mSv in some countries) = 270×10^-6 Gy ?
    13 mSv / year = Smoking 30 a day for a year
    20 mSv / year = Max recommended for radiation workers
    100 mSv / year = Rate above which cancer rates seen to increase

[ 1mSv = 0.001Sv or 1×10^-3 Sv, 1μSv=0.000001Sv or 1×10^-6 Sv ]

Banana equivalent dose =3520pCi/kg = 130Bq/kg. Or 520pCi / banana = 5.2×10^-10Ci = 19 Bq/banana. 365 bananas = 36uSv

Brazil nuts = 444 Bq/kg

Hopefully we will not have a need to reference a whole seivert.

Additions or corrections welcome.

Other units:
    Becquerel (Bq) decays/second. 1 Bq = 2.7×10^−11 Ci. See curie

curie
    (Ci), a unit of radioactivity
    1 Ci = 3.7×10^10 decays/second = 3.7×10^10 Becquerel (Bq) ~ 1 gram of radium
    A radiotherapy machine may contain 1000Ci of radioisotope such as caesium-137 or Cobalt-60 = serious health effects after a few minutes exposure. Human body contains ~ 0.1
    μCi of naturally occurring potassium-40 (1 μCi = 3.7×10^4 disintegrations/second)

Gray
    (Gy) "absorbed dose". J/kg (as with the Sv). 1Gy = 100 RAD
    Not a good biological measure. For electron & photon radiation 1 Gy = 1 Sv
    Its non-SI unit was the RAD.
    Badly vented house can give 6
    μGy / hour
    Maximum level allowed in working environment = 20
    μGy / hour

RAD
    = 0.01 Gy. see Gray

rem
    = 0.01 Sv. See Sievert

Here's a chart that shows dosages in a slightly different way:

Last edited by TimberWolf; 16 March 2011, 18:54.

Per hour
    6 μSv / hour = Aircraft flight
    1 Sv / hour = Nausea
    2.5 Sv / hour = Hair loss and possible death
    What is the above supposed to represent?

Ok, 1 Sv/hour gives you nausea, 2.5 SV/hour gives you hair loss and possible death.

And 6 μSv / hour gives you a free flight?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Ok, 1 Sv/hour gives you nausea, 2.5 SV/hour gives you hair loss and possible death.

That's the dose you get per hour on a flight on average. Cosmic rays and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        That's the dose you get per hour on a flight on average. Cosmic rays and stuff.
        I guessed that. It's just the grouping with the symptoms, nonsensical.

Comment

taller people are closer to the sun, and get radiation poisoning much easier than smaller folks, or people who wear a biscuit tin on their head.
          If you are very tall, one of the recommended solutions is to spend an hour a day watching television upside down on the couch

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            taller people are closer to the sun, and get radiation poisoning much easier than smaller folks, or people who wear a biscuit tin on their head.
            If you are very tall, one of the recommended solutions is to spend an hour a day watching television upside down on the couch

With a biscuit tin on me nads?

Comment

I guessed that. It's just the grouping with the symptoms, nonsensical.
              There are no symptoms for the average flier, symptoms start at around 100mSv / year, after many years exposure. It's useful a comparison. I would have included background radiation too, again as a reference, but didn't find a source for that, except per year and which is quite variable anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Basically, avoid Cornwall & Aberdeen.
                I was once on a geology field trip on the Isle of Arran, and near the cliffs South of Lamlish bay there was a large boulder, presumably dropped by a glacier at some time.

When the lecturer moved his Geiger counter near it, the thing went from silent to clicking like mad, almost buzzing! One night sleeping near that rock, or under it, and I imagine your risk of getting cancer would significantly increase.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  I was once on a geology field trip on the Isle of Arran, and near the cliffs South of Lamlish bay there was a large boulder, presumably dropped by a glacier at some time.

When the lecturer moved his Geiger counter near it, the thing went from silent to clicking like mad, almost buzzing! One night sleeping near that rock, or under it, and I imagine your risk of getting cancer would significantly increase.
                  Would a Geiger counter pick up human radiation (not infra red, but beta particles)? That would be cool to see.

Potassium-40 is the largest source of natural radioactivity in animals and people. An adult human body contains about 160 grams of potassium, of which a small fraction is potassium-40. From the isotope abundance and half-life it can be calculated that this produces, within our bodies, about 300,000 disintegrations per minute, 24 hours a day, all our lives.
                  Potassium-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  If not, there's an app for that.

Comment

In Iran there's a town where the background radiation is of the order of about 100 mSv, and apparently the life expectancy is higher than average.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X