• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going from MS SQL to MySQL - How difficult?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from MS SQL to MySQL - How difficult?

I'm solid at SQL development but i've not used MySQL before. There's a role i'm considering going to an interview for which is after MySQL.

I'm a ASP.net developer so i would probably doing things like general queries, SPs, creating tables perhaps, maybe even indexing. As well as possibly some ADO commands.

How long do you think it would take to pick these things up? I know the syntaxes should be similar but what about the interface of MySQL, is it quite similar? In addition how does each one behave under the bonnet in regards to the query planner etc?

Thanks

Download it and try it.

Comment

Does MySQL have proper stored procs etc now?

Last looked at it a few years ago and the limitations over MSSQL put me off so I used the free version of MSSQL instead.

I expect one of the biggest differences would be the SQL standards used between them. Not sure if MySQL is closer to ANSI standard than MS's Transact SQL, it's been a long time since I used 'pure' SQL so expect MS to have done the usual 'extend, improve, and bastardise' they do to all standards they pretend to be interested in adhering to.

I'd do some web searches on the differences to identify which areas of MySQL you may need to spend most time learning.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Each has their own way of doing certain things.

IIRC, MS SQL has things like being able to read uncommitted transactions and also to create a temporary table dynamically in code, which is something that MySQL doesn't do for good reason.

Download it, or install it on a website and have a play around and see what you think. I only use MySQL on the internet so use PHP MyAdmin as the interface to it - I don't know about any other management / CLI to access it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Does MySQL have proper stored procs etc now?
          Stored procedures / routines came in MySQL 5.0
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

IIRC, MS SQL has things like being able to read uncommitted transactions and also to create a temporary table dynamically in code, which is something that MySQL doesn't do for good reason.

Download it, or install it on a website and have a play around and see what you think. I only use MySQL on the internet so use PHP MyAdmin as the interface to it - I don't know about any other management / CLI to access it.
            It has a command line tool as well. It doesn't have anything like the SQL Server GUI tools, at least not that I am aware of. You can use things like the eclipse database tools although they aren't the greatest.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
              How long do you think it would take to pick these things up? I know the syntaxes should be similar but what about the interface of MySQL, is it quite similar?
              If you are used to SQL Server then MySQL should be straightforward, use it myself for various sites and blogs and never found I had to 'learn' anything really, it was all pretty self explanatory and is well documented should you become stuck. As said, just download and play, there are loads of management GUI's to choose from but i've mainly stuck to phpMyAdmin or MySQL's own thick client management tools (MySQL Administrator or MySQL Workbench).

I was always (and still am) a SQL Server chap but for the past 5-6 years have worked mainly with Oracle and found that was more difficult to transition to as a lot of it is very different to SQL but didn't find that with MySQL.
              Last edited by Durbs; 17 March 2011, 10:07.

Comment

Cheers guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

what good reason is that?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    what good reason is that?
                    Reading uncommitted data is a bad idea. The only time you can rely on uncommitted data is within the same session before you either commit it or roll back. If there are other sessions which are relying on your uncommitted data, which is then rolled back, you need to be careful about what users are presented with - are they going to see data that never gets committed? If that uncommitted data is then used to make decisions (either programmatically or manually) then that decision is based on duff data. MySQL will read the uncommitted data from your own session, but cross-session uncommitted reads are a bad idea.

I don't agree with defining tables on the fly - define the schema, document the schema, code. Define a temporary table in the schema and use that, rather than creating and dropping objects in code. MySQL doesn't allow it for this very reason.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X