• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV rewrite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV rewrite

OK,

So I'm rewriting my CV along the lines of what is suggested here:

How to write a good CV :: Contractor UK - Contracting News and Guides

i.e. summary of key skills and experience, followed by details of specific roles.

Does

C in the Unix environment - I have > 10 years experience of programming in C on Solaris & Linux. Some people think I'm odd because I actually enjoy it. I particularly like dtrace.
    this sound OK or should I rephrase it?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I think you need to keep it accurate. No one likes a CV that isn't truthful.

I'd remove the 'some' before 'people'.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Some people prefer to write in the third person, but he is not so sure.

Comment

I did a cv for a potential role in Zurich, with all the jolly bits in, we Brits are quite informal now after all. Agent came back with can you formalise it, the Swiss don't like all this friendly stuff.

So I did, agent comes back with 'Boring, tedious, snore...Perfect!!'

Horses for courses - in fact my plan B for some time is to write an online CV tailoring program, you stick the job description and location in, it spits out the perfect CV, based on your base CV of course, but rejigged to suit the numpty agents' 'to put you forward' requirements re ticking skill boxes and local culture.

So, you get the gig, I get nothing. There is a flaw, I know, I'm thinking of 1982 VHS warning-type messages on the CV that say, 'Copying this CV without paying stek in some yet undetermined manner will blow up your computer' messages or watermarks with penises in or summert. Discuss....

All boxes ticked, Virtual CV's 'R' Us. dot com.

Comment

I had an agent call me today regarding my CV, which they were about to submit to a client.

Agent : "Hi, the CV's great. I can see you have x years previous experience in exactly the same role as the client are offering."
          Me : "Great."
          Agent : "Just one problem. My client will only speed-read your CV, and they look for key words. Can you add "break/fix" to it ?"
          Me : "It's already got "install/troubleshoot/repair XYZ in the section the client will be most interested in."
          Agent : "Oh yeah. So it has. Well, as I said, the client speed read. Can you add "break/fix" as well, and get it over to me asap ?"
          Me : "Fine."

I declined the role in the end due to location. I expect the agent not to read the CV and understand most of the words, but if the client cannot even spare me more than a cursory look at my CV, I don't think I'd feel appreciated at their gaff. I mean, what's the blimming point to be honest ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Gosh, a client that wants to see that you are able to break something. I could do with more of those.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              C in the Unix environment - I have
              Read it like that, and you sound like Yoda.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X