• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there life after IT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there life after IT?

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 18:09.
    Bwana

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    I'm interested to hear about anyone who has left IT and started some other career (e.g. what they moved on to, and how they got on). Could be you or someone you know of.

I'm disillusioned with IT, sick of...
    • endless skills treadmill (e.g. learning a skill only to find that it is obsolete after only 5 years maybe even less)
    • job advert skill requirements that can only be met by lying
    • short-termism (ie churn out some crap really quickly instead of being allowed time to do a proper job)
    • offshoring
    • outsourcing
    • sitting at a desk all day
    • lack of social interaction (occasional grunt exchange with another techy doesn't count!)

I'm approaching 40 and finding that sitting at a desk all day is causing me postural problems (stiff neck, tense shoulders etc). This is becoming an issue now, so god knows how I'll get on in future as I get older.

I've got a decent amount of savings, no dependants, no debts. I have the option of moving back to my parents' house and living cheaply whilst I develop a new way to earn my living. I reckon I could survive on my savings like that for at least 3 years, maybe more (depending on stuff like how much I spent on outgoings such as petrol etc).

I'm quite academically minded, introverted, and very good at analytical thinking/strategising/weighing up all the options etc. I would like a job that involves more dealing with people but not too much (remember I come from an IT geek background!).

I like learning new skills but I want to learn skills that will last the rest of my life, not just 5 years before they become obsolete having been replaced with <random IT skill version 2.0 dot web>.

I'm interested in psychology and have been reading a careers guide to that subject. However, it seems that all psychology careers require a doctorate (not just a degree), which is too long a road for me. Plus I'm not sure I would want to do psychology for a living (probably a whole lot different from studying it in the comfort of an armchair at home!).

Hoping to get some inspiration from the collective wisdom of CUKers...

Cheers,
    Bwana
    Sarcastic Answer: Become a Plumber, Lawyer or a Builder. Skills will always be current.
    Serious Answer: Become an Architect, Project Manager or a Lorry Driver.

HTH
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I have a succesful music career running concurrently with my IT career (they frequently crossover).

Learn to play an instrument, could change your life.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        Sarcastic Answer: Become a Plumber, Lawyer or a Builder. Skills will always be current.
        Serious Answer: Become an Architect, Project Manager or a Lorry Driver.

HTH
        Becoming a qualified architect nowadays would probably take as long as getting a Psychology doctorate or qualifying as a lawyer.

Subject to building slumps too.

At one time I would have said get your own retail business that can be run by staff, but ask MF about that one.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I play Rockabilly.

We're playing once a month. We've put in a load of guitar instrumentals from the Ventures and the Shadows and it goes down a storm. The last time we played when I asked whether anyone had heard of the Ventures, a couple of teenage girls jumped and cheered.

I think it maybe in, because I see a lot of young bands playing it on You Tube, which surprised me. Mind you Muse does that old Shadows hit "Man of Mystery".
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 March 2011, 18:16.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Become a NLP therapist, social media 'guru' or some other wooly twadle that doesn't need any real skills, thats where the employment opportunities lie
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I setup my own retail business, physical and virtual.

I also have the same problems with posture/neck etc

In truth you can choose to do anything you want. I've had the retail side up to 380k a year turnover. If i worked FT in it then I'd probably get 35-45k per year. But I can earn 100k a year contracting without breaking a sweat. And that my friend is the problem. It's difficult to give it up.

The other way will be to move away from dev/sitting all day and move into management. Lest that way you can move on with your career and not be sat at the computer all day.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you have neck and posture problems then maybe you need to do more exercise in the week involving all aspects of fitness. In addition get screen a saver on your computer that forces you to get up and do something else i.e. go to the toilet, have a cup of coffee after 50 minutes.

Oh and if you can't work out what to do then go and do some voluntary work on one of your weekend days or evening for at least 6 months.

Choose something social where you have to help members of society you wouldn't normally meet. You may then discover that IT isn't that bad after talking to them. For example after helping out in a homeless hostel years ago I learnt that going into the catering industry was a bad idea for the majority of people. Plus voluntary work may give you inspiration to something else. Plus if you are interested in Psychology careers it always helps to have that tulip to put on your CV or application form.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  Become a NLP therapist, social media 'guru' or some other wooly twadle that doesn't need any real skills, thats where the employment opportunities lie
                  Being a social media guru is hard work.

You have to be surgically attached to your iPhone or crackberry at all times. (Off course you can cheat but most of them are too stupid.)
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you have neck and posture problems then maybe you need to do more exercise in the week involving all aspects of fitness. In addition get screen a saver on your computer that forces you to get up and do something else i.e. go to the toilet, have a cup of coffee after 50 minutes.

Oh and if you can't work out what to do then go and do some voluntary work on one of your weekend days or evening for at least 6 months.

Choose something social where you have to help members of society you wouldn't normally meet. You may then
                    discover that IT isn't that bad after talking to them. For
                    example after helping out in a homeless hostel years ago I
                    learnt that going into the catering industry was a bad idea
                    for the majority of people. Plus voluntary work may give you
                    inspiration to something else. Plus if you are interested in
                    Psychology careers it always helps to have that tulip to put
                    on your CV or application form.
                    Volunteer? A contractor???!!!??

Now I know you're a sockie. Who are you, come on tell us???
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X