• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors can make a difference - red nose day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors can make a difference - red nose day

I typed this post 5 times, deleted it 5 times, changed the title at least twice.

And it all boiled down to one line. One question.

Who here would be prepared to visit a wartorn region / region in need, and roll their sleeves up?

Here it can happen. The good ship CUK, and the folks that visit here.

We could get to vote on the region/country. We could cover our flights/accomodation.

It's easy to make a donation, we know this. And to some ends that is worth more, and the flight money would be better spent on the donation. I would be happy to donate my flight money to the cause on top if I visited.

Think about it. For one second.

Can you spare 2 weeks? Or even 5 days? Can you be apart from your family? Can you afford it (I suspect most can)?
    An amazing adventure, and a life changing experience. And a chance to help, and build relationships.

Possibily some charity is in place that does this kind of thing?

With trepidation suity presses the post button.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

What exactly would you do when you got there? Surely some skills are needed at least?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      What exactly would you do when you got there? Surely some skills are needed at least?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        I'm so glad you posted first.

Yes skills are needed.

Digging.
        Shifting.
        Bricklaying.
        Sparkying.
        Chippying.
        Plumbing.

I can dig. I can shift. I can lay a brick. I can teach you how to lay a brick.
        I am qualified to 16th edition how to do sparks. I am a rubbish chippy. I cannot plumb.

Just muck in and teach each other, and collaborate. Get off the plane and just crack on.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          What skills do you have? It's the easiest sport in the world to mock. This thread could be the start of something good.

Comment

SY01

How are you going to fit this in with your five IT projects at 100% utilisation, and all the other grand schemes you have on the go?

Oh, and turn your webcam off will you

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I typed this post 5 times, deleted it 5 times, changed the title at least twice.
              And had you really done that, you wouldn't be able to post it. It would require typing six times and deleting five
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I'm so glad you posted first.

Yes skills are needed.

Digging.
                Shifting.
                Bricklaying.
                Sparkying.
                Chippying.
                Plumbing.

I can dig. I can shift. I can lay a brick. I can teach you how to lay a brick.
                I am qualified to 16th edition how to do sparks. I am a rubbish chippy. I cannot plumb.

Just muck in and teach each other, and collaborate. Get off the plane and just crack on.
                I pay people to do those things. All I'd be doing is using up resources and not being very useful other than shaking my head and agreeing how tulip life is.

No need for a plane ride to somewhere needing things fixing, you could start with the potholes on the roads within a 500 yard radius of your home, the country would be a better place just for that.

In all seriousness unless you had something really essential to offer you'd be more of a hindrance.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

This thread could be the start of something good.
                  Not a very likely contingency, being as how it was started by an attention-seeking dullard with the apparent practical dexterity of a 3-toed sloth in a trenchcoat.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Try this charity
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X