• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comic Relief raises £74.3 million!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Relief raises £74.3 million!

BBC News - Comic Relief: £74.3m total sets Red Nose Day record

How come this raises £74.3 million on the night while Children in Need struggles to break £20m? I didn't think the comedy for the large part was even funny!

This tells me charity does not in fact begin at home, if it's true that Comic Relief is mainly for Africa and Children in Need mainly for the UK.

Also tells me the government won't believe all those protesters saying they're skint. Fuel duty up by another 5p (1p + inflation!) at next week's budget.

Also, why is it that the problems over there appear same or worse every year? Is this money being pissed away on dictator's palaces?

Are the locals too ignorant or selfish to maybe stop having so many children? Not exactly same as over here where the chavs can pump out 10 kids for large benefit handouts for life. They know if they have kids they're likely to die of malaria or starve so why put themselves through that heartbreak? Is it a numbers game, have 10 kids and 2 might grow up into adults?

Where's Geldof and his usual outburst that not enough is being done? Has he finally given up to the fact that it'll take more than international aid to sort out Africa's problems?

Lots of questions that probably won't get real answers, so see you here this time next year.
    Last edited by PAH; 19 March 2011, 10:46.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    ... Is it a numbers game, have 10 kids and 2 might grow up into adults?
    Yes. Though the AIDS epidemic is wreaking havoc in many countries. Not enough adults to look after the children, and children can't keep the economy going, when the adults are all dying.
    Lots of questions that probably won't get real answers, so see you here this time next year.
    Sport Relief next year. Comic Relief 2013.

(btw - fixed the title for you)
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12778593]
      Are the locals too ignorant or selfish to maybe stop having so many children? Not exactly same as over here where the chavs can pump out 10 kids for large benefit handouts for life. They know if they have kids they're likely to die of malaria or starve so why put themselves through that heartbreak? Is it a numbers game, have 10 kids and 2 might grow up into adults?
      Human Nature is the answer,It is a numbers game. What else have they got to live for but to produce the next generation ?
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Loved this (which was part of the official Comic Relief night)
        Last edited by d000hg; 19 March 2011, 20:05.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Video
          Yeah that was good.

Comment

Got it to a Tee
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Too much emotion, not enough sense. By spending money on immediate needs we simply end up with and ever increasing aid bill because the African population is outpacing the economy. Aid would be better spent on helping to provide a viable future by encouraging their economies. We should fund nations, not on basis of need, but on whether their government are making the right decisions.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yeah, I like this sketch, quite funny
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

see this thread...http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1301137

Comment

Working...
                  X