• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Contracting Tools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Contracting Tools

I was just wondering what tools you use for contract management. We are starting to open up Techshare v1.5 to Europe. Would a tool that has Project Management, Service Desk, Collaboration, Remote Support,Billing and much more interest UK contractors? I am not trying to sell to you, I just think this is a great forum for this question.

[mod] I'm sure you're not mrketter because we take a very dim view of that kind of thing around here... [/mod]

Not really, sounds like a mallet to crack a nut to me.

A Service Desk?? If you're a US company you might need to do a bit more research on this, UK contractors rarely want to pay for anything that isn't directly related to income generation (and often not even that).

I use Excel and tiddlywikis for that kind of thing. Works for me...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Not really, sounds like a mallet to crack a nut to me.

A Service Desk?? If you're a US company you might need to do a bit more research on this, UK contractors rarely want to pay for anything that isn't directly related to income generation (and often not even that).

I use Excel and tiddlywikis for that kind of thing. Works for me...
      In the US we charge the clients and the contractors get free accounts. If Uk contractors could be searched for and contacted by clients with projects, would they be more inclined? The point would be to give our clients instant access to qualified talent and the ability to communicate and manage projects. The contractors would also have billing taken care of. What do you think?

Comment

Riiigghhttt.

So this is getting more interesting. You are not selling this software, you are a contracting agency who encourages it's contacts to use this software. In this instance it's not direct to clients, your tool is the intermediary. And the billing/invoicing would only be for those clients who use you/the tool. They'ed still need another invoicing/accounting package for their other clients?

And now we're onto accounts, is it just invoicing or does it deal with VAT and expenses as well, and cab it deal with FRS VAT? (the reason I ask this is that many of us have accounting packages that do all of this for us or have accountants who do it)

Now, I don't really have a problem with this (apart from the fact that I'm not going to use it). If people want to break into US contracting, it's a possible way in. If anyone succeeds let us know.

In the UK while there are contractors who go (truly) direct to clients, direct online job sites have the reputation for being low-value sweat-shop type places where the lowest bid wins.

Still, I'm not going to diss you for trying and wish you luck.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Don't knock it untill you try it

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Riiigghhttt.

So this is getting more interesting. You are not selling this software, you are a contracting agency who encourages it's contacts to use this software. In this instance it's not direct to clients, your tool is the intermediary. And the billing/invoicing would only be for those clients who use you/the tool. They'ed still need another invoicing/accounting package for their other clients?

And now we're onto accounts, is it just invoicing or does it deal with VAT and expenses as well, and cab it deal with FRS VAT? (the reason I ask this is that many of us have accounting packages that do all of this for us or have accountants who do it)

Now, I don't really have a problem with this (apart from the fact that I'm not going to use it). If people want to break into US contracting, it's a possible way in. If anyone succeeds let us know.

In the UK while there are contractors who go (truly) direct to clients, direct online job sites have the reputation for being low-value sweat-shop type places where the lowest bid wins.

Still, I'm not going to diss you for trying and wish you luck.
          THank you for the response. THis is proving very educational for me. My company started over 15 years ago and mostly dealt with large clients. I hate the low-value sweat-shops and created Techshare to compete with them. The client actually decides who they want to work with (not based on price). Our clients pay for the type of work they receive and the consultant will tell us how much they expect to be paid. Techshare has ratings and skills information for the clients to decide. You really can't compare it to elancer or iyogi or the others. I am trying to create a global IT Department where clients can carve out resources like a LUN (I hope UK contractors know what that is). If you are contacted, well do the work. If not contacted through Techshare then what have you lost. I have consulted for most of my life and built this thinking of both consultants and clients. So are UK contractors really that cynical?

Comment

Originally posted by mrketter View Post
            I am trying to create a global IT Department where clients can carve out resources like a LUN (I hope UK contractors know what that is).
            Logical Unit Number? Did I pass?

Comment

So are UK contractors really that cynical?
              If I was that cynical I wouldn't have wished you luck!

Cynicism is a learned response, we've been burnt by this type of thing before.

UK contractors aren't that naive (unless you count off-shore tax schemes/scams... ).

But as you say, what have you lost if you don't get a bite.

I'm sure that googling Techshare 1.5 will get contractors to your site.

Not sure if it's any use for Service Management contractors like myself, but if anyone knows what a LUN is, knock yerselves out!

Comment

There is intelligent life out there

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Logical Unit Number? Did I pass?
                You both passed and restored my faith in possibly moving to the UK. You are smart enough to at least warrant a free account www .theDKWT.com/techshare. If you like it great give me feedback, if not great give me feedback. That's what we call in the US a win win situation. I just need some concrete feedback from your side of the pond.

Comment

You both passed and restored my faith in possibly moving to the UK. You are smart enough to at least warrant a free account www .theDKWT.com/techshare. If you like it great give me feedback, if not great give me feedback. That's what we call in the US a win win situation. I just need some concrete feedback from your side of the pond.
                  Aren't accounts free for anyone? I don't feel special. It's what we in the UK call a lose lose situation.

Anyway - your move to the UK - Tier 1 or Tier 2 work permit? Or maybe UK ancestry?

Comment

Working...
                  X