• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super Moon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Moon

Perigree moon this evening for those with clear skies

"Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger than usual, but can you really tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon can seem much like any other.

The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. On March 19th, why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset may seem so nearby, you can almost reach out and touch it."
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

No chance here, too cloudy as usual.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Looked pretty big when walking centurianhound - although I probably wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been on the news otherwise

Comment

I saw it earlier and it looked smaller if anything.

Comment

Saw it around 18:50hrs. Very impressive, huge yellow thing just hovering on the horizon. It's gone higher in the sky now and is smaller and bright white.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Still pretty impressive around our way, and was as well last night when it was clearer.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Bit of misty cloud, but you can see the moon is big and very bright.

Comment

Working...
              X