• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you like some 'coco'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you like some 'coco'?

Barclays is planning to pay senior staff in contingent convertible bonds (cocos) – lucrative for them but costly for investors.

risks a shareholder backlash over its plans to revolutionise the way it pays its top bankers amid concerns that the new scheme will be too lucrative for senior executives.

Leading City shareholders, who are being asked to vote on the change at the Barclays annual meeting next month, are concerned that the terms being proposed for senior staff – including chief executive Bob Diamond – are too generous and will prove costly for investors in the bank.

Barclays wants to issue contingent convertible bonds – "cocos" – to its key bankers, traders and executives as a form of payment alongside shares and cash.

One senior investor said: "A lot of shareholders are very resistant. Cocos are very expensive for shareholders and very lucrative for the directors."

While investment industry sources caution that it is too early to say that big investors will vote against the scheme, because the annual meeting is still more than a month away, they say that the head of the bank's remuneration committee, Sir Richard Broadbent, is aware of the reservations.

Source: City uneasy over proposed 'coco' bonuses for Barclays executives | Business | The Guardian

Some hippies were demonstrating outside my local Barclays today.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Some hippies were demonstrating outside my local Barclays today.
      Losers. They should get a job in banking.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Losers. They should get a job in banking.

HTH
        I'd like to put my Barlcays account on snooze, but I've got a standing order for which I can't remember the bank account number it goes to, so that I can transfer it to another bank. I phoned them the other day and got Bob, and after completion of business he tried to flog me all sorts of insurance.

Comment

AW I thought this was about free perfume
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            AW I thought this was about free perfume
            It is free when you get a few million quid worth of cocos...

Comment

Working...
            X