• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever win anything from a competition on a packet of xxxx?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever win anything from a competition on a packet of xxxx?

As I sit munching my breakfast (nom nom nom) my packet of rice krispies has a competition to win 500 Merlin passes.

Now apart from the fact your handing
    over valuable marketing information to the advertisor has anyone actively entered competitions off packets of
    stuff or in magazines/papers.

Don't see it as a plan B. Just interested
    like.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Ive won from newspaper competitions and other online competitions so some are genuine

Strangely they've all arrived without saying who they're from and I hide to do some research to work out where I'd won something from

But then I've only won the tulip runner up prizes like books, cds, dvds, bottles of spirits ie not anything actually valuable

I have read of women who sit at home entering competitions as a full time hobbying actually winning proper stuff, but it sounds deathly dull having to spend that kind of time doing it
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to enter loads of competitions.

The only time I won was a competition in a comic (Jackpot) I used to read.

The prize was a radio in the shape of the Jolly Green Giant.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        As I sit munching my breakfast (nom nom nom) my packet of rice krispies has a competition to win 500 Merlin passes.

over valuable marketing information to the advertisor has anyone actively entered competitions off packets of
        stuff or in magazines/papers.

Don't see it as a plan B. Just interested
        like.
        I went to a dinner party and sat next to a project manager for Weetabix - she said that it was known for prizes of these competitions to go unclaimed because there weren't enough people sending in their entries.

There's definately no harm in entering - you wont win anything if you don't, that's for sure.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          over valuable marketing information to the advertisor...
          It's only valuable to them. Not to you. And as they need hundreds (thousands) of customers to make the data really valuable, yours is probably worth less than 1p.

I entered a competition in one of the 80s computer magazines, and won a fairly decent game for the BBC B. I didn't get named as a winner, so it was a bit of a surprise. And I got £25 from New Scientist a year ago, for supplying one of the answers here.

Years ago, I worked with a girl who used to subscribe to some competition journal. She won some pretty cool prizes - the best that I recall was a four week all expenses paid trip to Australia.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I went to a dinner party and sat next to a project manager for Weetabix
            What an unusual thing to serve at a dinner party. Who did you sit next to for the other courses?

teehee!
            tl

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              What an unusual thing to serve at a dinner party. Who did you sit next to for the other courses?

teehee!
              tl
              LOL.

I'll get you coat.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                I have read of women who sit at home entering competitions as a full time hobbying actually winning proper stuff, but it sounds deathly dull having to spend that kind of time doing it
                I once saw a programme on this. Apparently there's a knack to writing the captions and if you are good at it you can win lots of stuff.

I tried as a kid but obviously didn't have the knack of getting the phrasing right.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Many years ago, when I was on maternity leave and somewhat bored, I subscribed to competitors monthly or something like that. Entered loads and loads of competitions. Won about a dozen things, but never the 'big' prize. Nicest was a meal at posh restaurant - didn't have much money at the time, so was a real treat and they even threw in a bottle of house wine.

My daughter recently entered a draw for tickets to London fashion week. She was delighted when she won, but the ticket was for Thursday and arrived on Friday. I did phone to see if they had weekend tickets, but they didn't. They sent her a goodie bag instead - 8 packs of coffee (the draw was from lavazza). She doesn't drink coffee...

Comment

I won a bike from Kellogs (Corn Flakes) in 1974. (Really, not making this up).

It was a golden 'special edition' Raleigh Chopper. You had to spot the differences in two pictures and make up a slogan.

It probably still ranks as one of my greatest moments. My mum did the slogan though
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X