• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange Expenses payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Expenses payment

Hi, I am with an umbrella company, I submitted a weeks expenses .. only mileage it came to £80, on my pay slip it said, expenses allowed £80, but when I compare it to last week’s payslip I actually only received £36.72 and my holiday pay had also reduced, I don’t understand I always thought expenses were deducted at source, am I wrong to think that ?

Originally posted by Virtual Lover View Post
    Hi, I am with an umbrella company, I submitted a weeks expenses .. only mileage it came to £80, on my pay slip it said, expenses allowed £80, but when I compare it to last week’s payslip I actually only received £36.72 and my holiday pay had also reduced, I don’t understand I always thought expenses were deducted at source, am I wrong to think that ?
    IF your expenses are not going to be repaid in full by your agency then you will only receive the tax benefit of the claim from your umbrella company i.e. the value of the expense will reduce your taxable pay.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks for the reply I now understand.
      but..
      If I had my own Ltd company would I pay myself full expenses first before I calculate the rest of my salary ?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Lover View Post
        Thanks for the reply I now understand.
        but..
        If I had my own Ltd company would I pay myself full expenses first before I calculate the rest of my salary ?
        Yes, but when the chips are down you're still only better off to the tune of the tax you saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Yes, but when the chips are down you're still only better off to the tune of the tax you saved.
          Good way to put it.

Comment

Working...
          X