• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the UK is scrapping the Harrier...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the UK is scrapping the Harrier...

...where can I buy one?

There was one on eBay for 60k a few weeks ago.

On the subject of harriers, did you know that the Latin name for Hobby is Falco Subbuteo? Funny play on words that.

Comment

They'll be on ebay soon enough.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

How come all British leading edge aircraft technology ends up in a technological cul de sack and then killed off? So military VTOL and supersonic civilian passenger aircraft ended up being silly ideas then?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          How come all British leading edge aircraft technology ends up in a technological cul de sack and then killed off? So military VTOL and supersonic civilian passenger aircraft ended up being silly ideas then?
          not an expert, but I understand that the main strength of vtol was in the dogfight. this was halved in effectiveness with the hi tech heat seeking air to air, then almost negated by the 360 heat seeking air to air. (i.e. you can fire a heat seeker at the front of an enemy from 12 miles away , then turn and go home)
          still useful for taking off from a jungle clearing, but just not enough jungles these days

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Email Kevin Stone, the crew chief of the vulcan to the sky project ..... he will put you in touch with the right people.

Had a presentation from him a few weeks ago about XH558, apparently they are going to bid for a Harrier to keep airworthy, in much the same way as they are doing with the Vulcan.

Presumably with similar lotter funding thrown in and charitable status, it could be a good little earner.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Because the Septics are running everything and they don't like us, especially when we do something that is cleverer than them, eg Concorde.

To be fair, they did buy the Harrier and represent it as US technology (as I noticed when I visited the NASA museum in Washington DC).

As far as buying one goes - no doubt we're shipping the last few off to the remaining dodgy dictatorships we are mates with this week.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                not an expert, but I understand that the main strength of vtol was in the dogfight. this was halved in effectiveness with the hi tech heat seeking air to air, then almost negated by the 360 heat seeking air to air. (i.e. you can fire a heat seeker at the front of an enemy from 12 miles away , then turn and go home)
                still useful for taking off from a jungle clearing, but just not enough jungles these days

Isn't it more to do with vectored thrust and the ability to keep an inherently unstable piece of composite in the air by technology now?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  There was one on eBay for 60k a few weeks ago.

On the subject of harriers, did you know that the Latin name for Hobby is Falco Subbuteo? Funny play on words that.
                  **OFF TOPIC ALERT**

Did you know the inventor of Subbuteo wanted to call it "HOBBY" but couldn't get the trademake so used the latin name of the Bird Of Pray called Hobby
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

[QUOTE=minsky1;1302812]Email Kevin Stone, the crew chief of the vulcan to the sky project ..... he will put you in touch with the right people.
                    QUOTE]

Otherwise known as Taff when I used to work with him...

...interesting news about them buying a Harrier though.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X