• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student Loans!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans!

Yep, I have one, coz I took a year out to be a smelly student and grabbed all the money I was offered (a massive £3k!). 15 hours a week doing very little was great fun and I'd do all again in a jiffy.

Anyway, I think the loan is due to start being oiked out my salary from April but I just want to know whether dividends are classed as income for the purposes of calculating deductions. I've briefly mentioned it to my accountant but we haven't yet discussed the options properly. My current salary is under the £15k limit, hence why I'm wondering about the divs.

I might just pay the whole thing off but quite like the idea of only paying 9% of nothing for a while!

Any comments, relevant or not, eagerly awaited.

how come you're only just starting to pay it back?

I didn't graduate until 2004 and started repayments the following April. But I guess with my £10k it may take a bit longer

Comment

you could always carry on discussing it with your accountant...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~

I didn't graduate until 2004 and started repayments the following April. But I guess with my £10k it may take a bit longer
        because you are exempt until you earn over a certain amount, but only contractor minimum wage payment plans and mcdonalds staff earn such low PAYE amounts to qualify for the deferment

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
          Because I did the course in the 2004/2005 academic year

Comment

Working...
          X