• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marquee hire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marquee hire

Got a good friend (I rent a house to him) who has fairly recently started up a marquee hire business with one marquee.

He has not had many bookings, and wondering what he is doing wrong.

He has mailshotted, got nice looking business cards, but still not many rentals.

Any ideas that I could pass on?

I was thinking along the lines of weddings as I have been in a lot of marquees for weddings, so will suggest trying bridal fayres, and wedding caterers. I also suggested when dealing with corporate firms to speak to the people in the contract departments who care only about the bottom line, rather than depend just on letters which may or may not get read.

Any other ideas though?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Got a good friend (I rent a house to him) who has fairly recently started up a marquee hire business with one marquee.
    You mean you bought your friend Tim's country house for a pittance and you are now forcing him to live in a tent?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      You mean you bought your friend Tim's country house for a pittance and you are now forcing him to live in a tent?
      All's fair in business Mind you, there is a plot of land that was sold on my road lately for around the price of a house!

Comment

Isn't the Marquee trade a bit like event catering, ice cream vans and door security, where most work is gained by intimidation?

You need to hook your mate up with your old mafia neighbour - he threatens the client or even the other contractors (sometimes when they arrive with their marquee) and bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Isn't the Marquee trade a bit like event catering, ice cream vans and door security, where most work is gained by intimidation?

You need to hook your mate up with your old mafia neighbour - he threatens the client or even the other contractors (sometimes when they arrive with their marquee) and bingo!
          Good thinking. He lives opposite an knows him. Mind you, mafia neighbour bungled a getaway from a robbery so think his intimidation levels are a little on the low side just now.....

Comment

A Marquee? Dat's sad!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              A Marquee? Dat's sad!

See, if I could have repped you for that, I would have

That is a truly awful gag
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Advertise at wedding fayres, local press, trade press.

Could it be used by the local scout group as a mess hall ?

Comment

As it happens I'm in the market for a marquee at some point.

After 11 years, two kids etc I suppose i'd better consider getting married.

I've been holding out for Kylie to ring but I'm beginning to give up hope, and as I already speak English I reckon Jordan is out of the running.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

He has not had many bookings, and wondering what he is doing wrong.

He has mailshotted, got nice looking business cards, but still not many rentals.

Any ideas that I could pass on?

I was thinking along the lines of weddings as I have been in a lot of marquees for weddings, so will suggest trying bridal fayres, and wedding caterers. I also suggested when dealing with corporate firms to speak to the people in the contract departments who care only about the bottom line, rather than depend just on letters which may or may not get read.

Any other ideas though?
                    You have friends?!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X