• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Journey to SQL Authority

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journey to SQL Authority

The Personal Notes of Pinal Dave.....

Link

I've just wasted 2 hours trying out one of his solutions

I don't usually have time for MVP's they tend to just regurgitate the help files or spew out regurgitated MS sales pitches of products they have spent no longer than 5 minutes with.

From what I've seen of him, Pinal Dave, is one of the few exceptions who does actually spend some time investigating and passing some proper first hand experience on.

Which of his solutions were you having problems with?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      I don't usually have time for MVP's they tend to just regurgitate the help files or spew out regurgitated MS sales pitches of products they have spent no longer than 5 minutes with.

From what I've seen of him, Pinal Dave, is one of the few exceptions who does actually spend some time investigating and passing some proper first hand experience on.

Which of his solutions were you having problems with?
      His articles on Bulk importing from CSV into SQl Server. I want to skip the identity column. Though, to be fair, the actual problem is in the design:

from Microsoft:

With an XML format file, you cannot skip a column when you are importing directly into a table by using a bcp command or a BULK INSERT statement. However, you can import into all but the last column of a table. If you have to skip any but the last column, you must create a view of the target table that contains only the columns contained in the data file. Then, you can bulk import data from that file into the view.

What a load of pony.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        His articles on Bulk importing from CSV into SQl Server. I want to skip the identity column. Though, to be fair, the actual problem is in the design:

from Microsoft:

With an XML format file, you cannot skip a column when you are importing directly into a table by using a bcp command or a BULK INSERT statement. However, you can import into all but the last column of a table. If you have to skip any but the last column, you must create a view of the target table that contains only the columns contained in the data file. Then, you can bulk import data from that file into the view.

What a load of pony.
        Wouldn't there some simple way of importing selectively from Excel, or writing a transformed CSV file that could be imported more easily.

Failing that, one could knock up a perl script in five minutes to do it.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

from Microsoft:

What a load of pony.
          As your quote from microsoft says:
          bulk insert into a view which is a select on the table for all columns minus the identity column
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Wouldn't there some simple way of importing selectively from Excel, or writing a transformed CSV file that could be imported more easily.

Failing that, one could knock up a perl script in five minutes to do it.
            If your data source is good you can create an SSIS task to do it in literally seconds. If the data source is bad then it might take as long as 2 minutes
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

If your data source is good you can create an SSIS task to do it in literally seconds. If the data source is bad then it might take as long as 2 minutes
              To date I have not seen a data problem which SSIS can't deal with. When it's too complicated just use a script task and code it to do what you want, whatever the source of the data may be.

Comment

No SSIS here.... it's SQL express. Going with the view solution at the moment. Thanks.

This all has to be performed from within an MSI file. Got the joys of Wix files to deal with next.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  To date I have not seen a data problem which SSIS can't deal with. When it's too complicated just use a script task and code it to do what you want, whatever the source of the data may be.
                  You've not pushed it hard enough then
                  I hit a problem this morning whilst adding some lookups. I wanted to compare several columns in order to the lookup table - which itself is about 30 million rows.
                  SSIS fell over trying to cache the data and not caching took way to long.
                  Ended up having to move that functionality into SQL.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

You've not pushed it hard enough then
                    I hit a problem this morning whilst adding some lookups. I wanted to compare several columns in order to the lookup table - which itself is about 30 million rows.
                    SSIS fell over trying to cache the data and not caching took way to long.
                    Ended up having to move that functionality into SQL.
                    True say, I was referring to complexity rather than performance. You may be force to moving the data to SQL for it to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                    X