• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget 2011

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget 2011

(Mods wasn't sure which forum this best sat in so apologies in advance if you have to move)

Looks like tomorrows budgets gonna be an interesting one for us, I am sceptical of anything that I have read about changes to IR35 being an overall benefit for us, but seen as the main purpose of the legislation was to stop us using loopholes to avoid tax they will find another way to shaft us!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Yup should be interesting... although I'm sure it will get about 10 seconds of airtime and will just be buried in the spin. Will take some serious reading to find out what they're really doing.

On the cards we have:

Merger of PAYE & NI
    No additional fuel duty
    No additional airport taxes
    17p on 20 cigs
    51p on 1L spirits
    5p on a pint
    No m/paternity pay for employees of companies < 10 staff

Any other leaks?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      (Mods wasn't sure which forum this best sat in so apologies in advance if you have to move)

Looks like tomorrows budgets gonna be an interesting one for us, I am sceptical of anything that I have read about changes to IR35 being an overall benefit for us, but seen as the main purpose of the legislation was to stop us using loopholes to avoid tax they will find another way to shaft us!
      I'm hopeful that the accounting/tax efficiency industry will adapt accordingly...
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It would be a brave suicidal government that merges NI and PAYE because it will show exactly how much income tax people really pay.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

It would be a brave suicidal government that merges NI and PAYE because it will show exactly how much income tax people really pay.
          WHS - Despite the huge savings in bureaucracy, I reckon they'll bottle that one.

OTOH, if people really know how much tax they pay, it could be a big disincentive to vote for a party (Labour, say) that refused to commit to reducing them.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I think it's a brilliant idea, seeing as most people aren't so thick that they can't read the numbers on their payslip. Anything else is a cop out and shows what a bunch of pussies we elected.

They should make private health insurance work in the same way that pension contributions do as well, i.e. you get a refund on some of the tax/NI you paid.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I can't imagine we'll see anything drastic on income tax and NI,or IR35, but there'll probably be some vague promise to continue to review it.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Merger of PAYE & NI
                It won't happen - political suicide.

The best is that he'll create some commission to waste taxpayer money for many years in order to examine different options for next Parliament.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  They should make private health insurance work in the same way that pension contributions do as well, i.e. you get a refund on some of the tax/NI you paid.
                  I'm sure Maggie tried that, there was uproar.

Comment

With public borrowing out of control isn't the govermin just pissing in the wind with all these austerity measures and cuts?

If they are borrowing over 10bln per month, why bother putting the squeeze on the nation for a few bln saving? Because they know we're a nation of whingers not rioters?

BBC News - Public borrowing hits record high for month of February

"Net debt, which is the sum of all borrowing, was £875.8bn, the ONS said. That is equivalent to 58% of GDP or total economic output. This time last year, the total was £729.9bn, or 50.8% of GDP"

Isn't a devaluing of the pound (via inflation or 'quantitive easing') the only solution the govermin is really relying on to avoid bankruptcy, and all these cuts and measures are just a smoke screen? That or never intend paying it back and just hand the debt down the generations.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X