• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have I got this right? - Mobile Phone Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I got this right? - Mobile Phone Question

I need to get a phone to seperate my business and personal calls, basically i want a number i can give to agents then turn off when I'm on a gig. What I'd like to do is not be stuck into a long contract so I'd like a 30 day sim only type deal and then buy a unlocked sim free handset.

From what I've read as long as the contract is in the business name, and paid DD from the business back account I should be OK and then I can use this monthly subscription from my profits that Corp Tax is calculated on.

Secondly when it comes to buying the handset, as I am looking at a smartphone, because I can justify that I have another phone contract which is for personal use I can deduct the full cost against profits that Corp Tax is calculated on?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

If the SIM only contract is in the company name the expense is allowable and so is the purchase of the handset. What you've said makes sense

Comment

Why do you need a smartphone thats going to be turned off 95% of the time? Why did you need to pay anything DD?

Just buy a PAYG sim and a PAYG phone.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I need to get a phone to seperate my business and personal calls, basically i want a number i can give to agents then turn off when I'm on a gig.

Secondly when it comes to buying the handset, as I am looking at a smartphone, because I can justify that I have another phone contract which is for personal use I can deduct the full cost against profits that Corp Tax is calculated on?

OK, here's what I'd do:

1. Buy the new phone you want outright any pay for it on the company credit card so it becomes an allowable company expense.
        2. Take out a contract in the company name (plenty of 30-day sim only plans out there) and port your personal number to that contract, this is now allowable as a business expense.
        3. Get a second SIM card on the same company account with a new phone number, this is the one you use while you are job hunting - most operators allow several phones on their "small business" tariffs.

Make sure you aren't paying a premium because it's a "business" rather than "personal" account or else you will end up worse off than just having a personal contract and paying for it out of your own pocket!

A cheaper option may be to just get a pre-pay burner SIM for your old phone, stick £10 top up on it and dump it when you're done. That way you're not paying £15/month line rental for a phone you won't use for months at a time while you're working. If agents want to contact you then they can email you (presuming you don't use a burner email address too).

Good luck!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          Why do you need a smartphone thats going to be turned off 95% of the time? Why did you need to pay anything DD?

Just buy a PAYG sim and a PAYG phone.
          Because I will stick my personal SIM card in the business smartphone
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hmmm I've just negotiated my T-Mobile from aroud £50.00 per month (with "free" handset every year) to £10.00 per month inc Internet on my Android, unlimited Land Line calls and £172.00 of other calls and txts per month ... by keeping my handset.

So getting the "free" handset would have to be worth £480.00 per year to me.

The way I would do it is get a PAYG sim, a double sim carrier and switch between the two on the one phone.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Because I will stick my personal SIM card in the business smartphone
              Sounds rather wholly and exclusively not for business use to me

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                Sounds rather wholly and exclusively not for business use to me
                From my reading of the rules, it seems that it doesn't matter.

As long as the bills are in the company name, the company can provide an employee with a single phone which is used for mixed business and private use and any number of additional phones primarily for business use, ie where private use is not significant.

HM Revenue & Customs: Telephones - mobile
                EIM21779 - Particular benefits: mobile telephones: exemption for 2006/07 onwards: details
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

As long as the bills are in the company name, the company can provide an employee with a single phone which is used for mixed business and private use and any number of additional phones primarily for business use, ie where private use is not significant.

EIM21779 - Particular benefits: mobile telephones: exemption for 2006/07 onwards: details
                  But that's not what the OP is doing - for some reason, he's buying a smartphone from the company and then using his personal SIM in it.

If he just got a single phone for mixed business and personal, through the company, then that would be fine - and could then add any number of primarily business phones. The problem comes with wanting the company to buy you a phone which is not going to have any business element to it because you're using it for personal use only.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

I'm not sure the smartphone would come under the guidance of mobiles but more likely will come under the heading of PDA's

Comment

Working...
                    X