• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renew contact or not! Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renew contact or not! Advice needed

Hi All,

My first (ever) contract is running out in a couple of months and ClientCo has already asked the agency to extend it due to my in depth knowledge of the industry and the software.

At the same time, the guy who got me a permanent developer job in IB before(I turned down that offer at the time) has contacted me and offered to find me a contractor role in IB. He is very confident about it because the contractors market in IB is good and I got offered a perm job from IB before.

Here is the dilemma: I love my current role as I got to do whatever I want and the hour is really flex. But I don’t want to be stuck in the same role/rate forever like one of my contractor friends; hence want to move to a different industry to expand my knowledge – i.e banking, so I will have a better career path/future?

Another factor is the rate. The rate in IB is going to be about 100 pounds more.

I cound try to negotiate the rate with my agency, but my worry is that my client has already offered me as much as they can afford.

Plus I feel bad to leave the clientco as they pretty much rely on me to have everything running at the software side. Even they can find a really good developer , he/she will spend a lot of time picking things up. I am thinking about responsibility and loyalty.

What shall I do? ???? Any advice/feedback will be greatly appreicated.

Last edited by 7of9; 22 March 2011, 21:06.

DO what makes you happy and don't just chase the money. If you like the work at your current ClientCo then stay there for a while. If you like the idea of IB then go for that - the extra money will help cushion you against those pesky bench interludes.
    In the meantime have a think about where you want your working life to go.
    All the best.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks Zippy! The clientco contract will be a year long and they are not sure what will happen after that... I guess i can stay for another 6 months. But slightly worried about missing opportunity...
      Last edited by 7of9; 22 March 2011, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by 7of9 View Post
        Thanks Zippy! The clientco contract will be a year long and they are not sure what will happen after that... I guess i can stay for another 6 months. But slightly worried about missing opportunity...
        I don't know how long you have been at your current client co, but what you don't ask, you don't get. Don't fall into the trap I fell into with my current role (Have a look for one of my threads called Annoyed!!!! I chased the money, and got stung). If you are happy where you are, I would stay where you are and try and negotiate the rate upwards.

I don't recall you saying if you have secured the other role yet, so there's no harm in being put forward and having the interview, at least you can get a good idea of what you need to expect. If you get offered the other role, then talk to your current agent and ask if they are prepared to offer a sweetner to keep you at your current gig.

I am guessing that your skills are marketable, so opportunities will appear all the time, so don't think that a missed opportunity now is a lost opportunity forever.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Negotiate where you are, you could be happy and loaded.

There was a similar thread over the last couple of days.

If nothing is immediately forthcoming, take the extension and then if an attractive, lucrative IB role comes up, give the required notice and leave.

It may be that your potential leaving will encourage client to find a few quid for a rate rise. They need pushing sometimes. Then you would have a decision to make.

GL.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

You have a few months yet to work out what to do, unless you are planning on jumping from the current role early.

You haven't got anything concrete from either of these options - you might get an extension, you might get an IB role.

Interview for the IB role if you fancy that kind of thing (doesn't appeal to me in the least), and only when you have something concrete do you have a decision to make.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am already in the process of negotiating the rate with my agency I will also go to the IB interviews in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
              X