• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any M62 summit commuters here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any M62 summit commuters here?

If so, how crazy was this mornings accident at the summit hill Eastbound J21 where 4 lanes go down to two?

Two trucks collided smashing through the barrier, going off the hard shoulder as the lanes merged into the hillside. The front truck rolled on its side, both bursting into flames.

I hope both truckers are unscathed, but pretty crazy stuff.

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    If so, how crazy was this mornings accident at the summit hill Eastbound J21 where 4 lanes go down to two?

Two trucks collided smashing through the barrier, going off the hard shoulder as the lanes merged into the hillside. The front truck rolled on its side, both bursting into flames.

J21 is Milnrow. The one at the summit of the M62 (highest stretch of motorway above sea level in England) is J22 - Saddleworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      It looks like they both got out OK.

Comment

I remember seeing a video on YouTube a couple of years ago that has given me a different perspective on motorway driving and I'm certainly more wary of trucks now. Though sometimes there's sod all you can do if you get caught up in it.

Here's the link to the video of the actual crash in Italy on 8/8/2008. The original YouTube video I saw had some info about the aftermath. Apparently the sudden veering of the Truck across the central barrier into oncoming traffic was caused by a suspension failure. There were multiple fatalities, including all of the people in the two trucks that burst into flames, and the two cars driving close together that get taken out. The white van had a very lucky escape.

WARNING: THIS IS RATED

Truck crash CCTV footage
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Jesus, those trucks must have been made from explodium.

Comment

I am dreading the prospect of having to commute on the M62 in the near future. That motorway scares the sh*t out of me. Driven past so many accidents on that bleeding motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              I am dreading the prospect of having to commute on the M62 in the near future. That motorway scares the sh*t out of me. Driven past so many accidents on that bleeding motorway.
              Find an alternate route. Its a terrifying motorway, often foggy with black ice. nearly 38% of drivers have an accident on that benighted motorway, i even know people who had been killed over three times

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                It all happens in Rochdale:

Woman taken to hospital following handbag fire

How the heck can a handbag catch fire?!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It all happens in Rochdale:

Woman taken to hospital following handbag fire

How the heck can a handbag catch fire?!
                  More importantly how can your tongue catch fire?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

More importantly how can your tongue catch fire?
                    That was my Christmas avatar - Santa Claus experimenting with lighter fluid by the looks of it.

May have to think about changing it soon though.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X