• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online milk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online milk

I have a milkman, who brings me milk three times a week, and I pay this via direct debit. The dairy phoned me up yesterday:

Dairy: Have you considered buying your milk online?
    Me: Online? How do you mean?
    D: If you buy the milk online, it's cheaper.
    Me: Does that mean I have to order it when I need it, rather than have the regular delivery?
    D: No, we'll still continue the same regular deliveries.
    Me: So do I have to pay for it online with a credit card?
    D: No, we'll continue the same direct debit instruction.
    Me: So what's the difference?
    D: It's cheaper, because it's online.
    Me: So it's the same milk, from the same milkman, to the same schedule, with the same payment method?
    D: Yes, except it's cheaper, because it's online.

So at that point I agreed, and now my milk is "online" and I save about 80p per week over what I was paying for exactly the same thing.

Has the world gone mad, or is it just me? Is not understand this sort of thing the start of old age (I am nearly 40)?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I have a milkman, who brings me milk three times a week, and I pay this via direct debit. The dairy phoned me up yesterday:

Dairy: Have you considered buying your milk online?
    Me: Online? How do you mean?
    D: If you buy the milk online, it's cheaper.
    Me: Does that mean I have to order it when I need it, rather than have the regular delivery?
    D: No, we'll still continue the same regular deliveries.
    Me: So do I have to pay for it online with a credit card?
    D: No, we'll continue the same direct debit instruction.
    Me: So what's the difference?
    D: It's cheaper, because it's online.
    Me: So it's the same milk, from the same milkman, to the same schedule, with the same payment method?
    D: Yes, except it's cheaper, because it's online.

So at that point I agreed, and now my milk is "online" and I save about 80p per week over what I was paying for exactly the same thing.

Has the world gone mad, or is it just me? Is not understand this sort of thing the start of old age (I am nearly 40)?
    The world has gone mad.

Particularly as they are telling you a way that costs them money.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Has the world gone mad, or is it just me?
      As far as I can tell it's always been mad.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The lass at the dairy that phoned you up is gradually doing herself out of a job.

Or she hates talking to customers and has found a way to get around it in long term.

Comment

Has the world gone mad ..
          I bet the milkies are pretty mad about bringing in online payments, because presumably that makes it harder or impossible for them to make a bit on the side.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

reducing their administration costs adds moves & changes are online.
            Also they are securing customers because new online milk suppliers are out, look forward to emails selling you online vegetables etc.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              reducing their administration costs adds moves & changes are online.
              Also they are securing customers because new online milk suppliers are out, look forward to emails selling you online vegetables etc.
              Taken by itself, doing themselves out of 80p a week may sound daft, but I'm pretty surprised the first few posters (especially on an IT forum!!!) couldn't have spotted the obvious benefits of most new computer systems - save/make money by reducing cost elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Taken by itself, doing themselves out of 80p a week may sound daft, but I'm pretty surprised the first few posters (especially on an IT forum!!!) couldn't have spotted the obvious benefits of most new computer systems - save/make money by reducing cost elsewhere.
                That's if the computer system works.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  That's if the computer system works.
                  Indeed, but that is a different question entirely

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Only a little while to 2012 & the total madness.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X