• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISA virgin advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISA virgin advice

I realise I am probably the last person in the world to have an ISA, allways having prefered to spend any spare cash on wine, women and song. This year, the mighty Singhr corporation has posted a tiny profit and there is some cash left over. With a complete mistrust of all things stock market, very little financial savvy, and with appalling interest rates I find my pen hovering over a one year fixed rate cash ISA. Am I or being a

If you want to save it, just stick it in a cash ISA. You might get 2-3% interest. You need to make sure the rate doesn't drop to 0 after a year, or, simply switch it next year which is totally normal.

I just got one with Santander. Compare Santander Cash ISAs
    It shows up as a regular online bank account, you can even take the money out and spend it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      I realise I am probably the last person in the world to have an ISA, allways having prefered to spend any spare cash on wine, women and song. This year, the mighty Singhr corporation has posted a tiny profit and there is some cash left over. With a complete mistrust of all things stock market, very little financial savvy, and with appalling interest rates I find my pen hovering over a one year fixed rate cash ISA. Am I or being a
      I'll double that 5K for you. Just let me have your account number and sort code and I'll do the rest.

Money back guarantee

Old Greg
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

2 years ago I put £3K into a cash ISA, and £4K into a stocks and shares ISA, as was the limits at the time. The cash ISA of course did pratically bugger all with the way interest rates have been; the stocks and shares one promptly plumeted to be worth about £2K in 6 months, but climbed back and now is up 20% over 2 years.

Of course if I'd been clever enough to put money in at the low point, it would have more than doubled in 18 months.

I think the moral of the story is, as long as you can keep a cool head and look at it long term, the stocks and shares approach is always better, even if there's a recession. But YMMV.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
          I'm in the same boat as you - I'm useless when it comes to financial matters. Here's a person who took out a 3 year fixed rate mortgage in June 2008 at 5.75%

The way I see it with interest rates being so low & inflation so high you'll still end up in real terms with less than what you started off with if you invest in a cash ISA. You're better off investing it elsewhere. I'm thinking of something tangible like wine or fine art.

I've also got a company pension scheme but I'm only really investing in that when I'm caught by IR35 to avoid paying too much tax. Problem is, when I throw money at that I really feel like it's vanishing into the ether - I never have a clue how my funds are performing because I'm too thick (or too lazy) to understand the bollocks they send me through the post every year.

Comment

You can get as high as 5% if you lock-in. Regardless a savings account might equate to a small real-world depreciation BUT this is known in advance. Anything else is much higher risk... put money you can afford to lose in stocks or commodities, put money you rely on somewhere safe.

If you really don't need the money even medium-term, throw it in a pension.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Top easy-access deal is Santander's Flexible ISA (issue 3) which pays 3.3% AER and tracks UK base rate for a year. The AA's ISA pays a higher 3.35% AER (min £500), but doesn't track.

Top 1 year fix is 3.3% (Bank of Cyprus, not covered by UK bust bank protection). Nationwide do 3.1% fixed, and you're only allowed one deposit. Santander does 3.7% fixed for two years.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Is fixing over a year or few a good idea if there's a chance interest rates could rise significantly during the period?

I see that the monthly BOE interest rate review is gradually getting more backers for a rate rise, so if that carries on we could see some movement upwards soon, which would be great for savers on variable rates.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I wouldn't recommend longer than a year in a cash ISA, as interest rates are bound to rise and there will be better offers this time next year. Or, go for the one that tracks base rate -
                  take a look at Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Is fixing over a year or few a good idea if there's a chance interest rates could rise significantly during the period?

I see that the monthly BOE interest rate review is gradually getting more backers for a rate rise, so if that carries on we could see some movement upwards soon, which would be great for savers on variable rates.
                    Thanks for all the advice. I was really tempted by the double your money offer but in the end went for fixed rate 1 year cash isa (just finished clicking the buttons online). I'll report back in a years time.

Comment

Working...
                    X