• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Expenses Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Expenses Question

If you earn £5000 in a month and claim £2000 in expenses do you pay tax or NI on that £2000?

Or are you only taxed on the remaing £3000?
    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

You'll pay CT on the remaining £3,000.

You'll only pay personal tax on that £3,000 if you then withdraw it as a dividend.

The £2,000 in expenses, assuming they are allowable and not benefits in kind, should not give rise to any personal tax implications.

Edit: assuming you're a Limited company, not a brolly contractor
    Last edited by Clare@InTouch; 23 March 2011, 17:52.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Sorry should have said I am with a brolly.

Seems my take home is on par with PAYE calculators despite submitting about 30% in expenses each month.
      Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post
        Sorry should have said I am with a brolly.

Seems my take home is on par with PAYE calculators despite submitting about 30% in expenses each month.
        When working via an Umbrella expenses (I believe) are paid, then NI's (employees and employers) and tax are deducted from the remainder and you're paid what's left.

People often don't realise that the employers NI has to be paid and that's deducted from the rate which leaves quite a hole.

Comment

Working...
        X