• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attitude towards working hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attitude towards working hours

Hi,

I'm pretty new to IT contracting, 6 months in and just renewed on my first contract. Coming form a permie past I'm somewhat unsure how to approach management of working hours within a contract.

I'm paid a day rate, but formally contracted to work 37.5 hours a week. We are not allowed to work any overtime on the contract as there is no budget for it, and so as I perceive things I should be working 37.5 hours a week, not more, not less. But eyebrows get raised when I'm not working until 8 in the evening or whatever as a deadline approaches. A deadline in a project which should have more people working on it rather than a very small core team, but can't due to not having the budget.

Should I be taking a more flexible approach and be giving extra hours for free (hours which should be being done by another person ideally) in order to achieve the deadlines put forward to us? I'm enthusiastic about the work, I enjoy it, but if I can work for free OR see my kids before bed, it doesn't really seem like much to think about.

I might clock watch, but only as I spend 4 hours a day on the M40 at present, so have little time to play with, in work and in my home life... So do other people have thoughts on going the extra mile when there's no obligation (or notable personal benefit) to do so?

Thanks

Chris

Hello mouse organ, welcome to the forums. May I start by saying you're not the first to make a comment about the size of your organ on this forum, but your boast is refreshing.

In my experience, although contracts say expected hours, they also say something like 'professional working day' I.e. you stay there to get the work done and meet deadlines, and if that means some late nights then that's part of being a 'professional'. When this happens to me I simply take a few days of leaving early or coming in late, but still charge for 1 day, to make up for it. A good client will know there should be some give and take.

Of course, if you're staying until 8 or similar every day then this is a different matter. Do other contractors have the same issues? What about all the permies? Is it an American IB by any chance?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Yes you should be more flexible - clock watching is a permie trait.

I'm not saying you should give an hour every day but it's give and take. If you're flexible occasionally then so will the client.

(And I've a 5 hour daily commute.)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mouseorgan View Post
        Should I be taking a more flexible approach and be giving extra hours for free (hours which should be being done by another person ideally) in order to achieve the deadlines put forward to us? I'm enthusiastic about the work, I enjoy it, but if I can work for free OR see my kids before bed, it doesn't really seem like much to think about.
        I put in the extra hours when needed or in response to major incidents and the client appreciates that. Generally I don't charge for it either, I just put it down to good will. In return I take flexible hours as required. It's swings and roundabouts but it's a fine line and you have to strike a balance between work and home life.

Can you do work from home occasionally? That makes a big difference to my balance.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Is there anything you can negotiate with them? If you are flexible with them clients can be surprisingly flexible back. You clock watch they won't move an inch obviously.

Do a few weeks of more flexible work and once people have gotten used to it could you not explore the idea of an early finish Friday, work from home, work over the weekend in your time in return for early finish once or twice or something?

Obviously depends on your clients, and more importantly your managers take on work/life balance but some large clients take it quite seriously and will listen a little more.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The key is to set expectations on the first day of a contract. Make it clear that you're not averse to working long hours for essential deadlines on the sole condition that they don't grumble if you take the very occasional half/part day out to do things like doctors appointments. I make it clear that they're going to get more than the contracted hours so it's in their interests to agree.

If you're billing by the day, make sure your hours on your timesheets are accurate. Do them daily. That way if anyone senior gets sniffy about you disappearing early one day then you can show the hours you have worked. Don't just stick 9-5 on a timesheet every day as the one day when you're doing 8:30-4:30 all they'll remember is you going home at 4:30 "but your timesheet says you came in at 9".

As mentioned above though, some managers/clients can be clock-watching pedants. You could come in at 5am for a 9-5 day job and they'll whine like a kicked puppy if you leave at 4:55pm. If you have the misfortune of working for one of those people then you just work your 9-5 and get out, any extra time will be unappreciated and will just annoy you in the long run.

Comment

I take a different view, do builders, plumbers and electricians work for free?

It's the salaried permies who'll stay late, the boss man may even buy them a cupcake at the end of the month if they hit the target. ...Whereas I'm a business and a family man.

I guess support is different to having deliverables.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you're paid per hour, then it's the hours that you do that count. If you're paid per day, then you need to be doing what's reasonably required of you for that day, which may well mean a certain amount of flexibility. Clearly it's not reasonable to expect you to work until midnight every night, but it's not working "for free"; it's what you agreed to when you agreed a day rate.

Remember that delivering when it counts and putting the client's needs first is what gets you the renewal.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Clockwatching is a permie habit. Consciously not clockwatching is also a permie habit. A business provides what is paid for.

Sorry but this doesn't help the OP if his manager thinks that what he has is a type B permie, where he watches the clock with satisfaction as the free hours roll up.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

It mentions in my contract that it's a "professional day", and that they pay a professional day for an 8 hour day. They don't pay for any hours over this.

As others have said, be flexible, when the work is there be prepared to get stuck in and do some extra hours, doesn't mean they get forgotten, start an hour later, finish an hour earlier to make up.

It does depend a lot on your manager, I have been very fortunate so far in my contracting career, in that they have been very reasonable.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X