• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to buy an antique book for my niece

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy an antique book for my niece

One of my nieces has her confirmation on Sunday, and thinking about a suitable present thought it would be nice to give her one of my old 16th century books, a New testament dating from 1576, with an impressive engraving of Queen Bess in the front along with a dedication to her.

But then I had a better idea on the same lines. She is very interested in history, especially the Tudor period, and I thought it would be nice to try and find her a book printed even earlier, in the time of Henry VIII. (She seems quite a fan of his, although it's hard to imagine a more unlikely hero than that grim old tyrant, especially for a young girl!)

So anyway, knowing CUK regulars' eclectic tastes and expertise, I wondered if anyone might know where I could buy an antique book of that age (prior to 1547) at short notice, or even have one for sale themselves. Chances are it would be religious in some form, which I suppose would be appropriate; but it needn't be.

I imagine books that old must be quite rare and expensive by now. So maybe I should stick with the 1576 one after all. And I've left it until the last minute, as usual, which doesn't help.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Try this website.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      Thanks, but entering a max publishing date there of 1547 gives:

Please enter at least one search term.
      This may be harder than I anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        One of my nieces has her confirmation on Sunday, and thinking about a suitable present thought it would be nice to give her one of my old 16th century books, a New testament dating from 1576, with an impressive engraving of Queen Bess in the front along with a dedication to her.

But then I had a better idea on the same lines. She is very interested in history, especially the Tudor period, and I thought it would be nice to try and find her a book printed even earlier, in the time of Henry VIII. (She seems quite a fan of his, although it's hard to imagine a more unlikely hero than that grim old tyrant, especially for a young girl!)

So anyway, knowing CUK regulars' eclectic tastes and expertise, I wondered if anyone might know where I could buy an antique book of that age (prior to 1547) at short notice, or even have one for sale themselves. Chances are it would be religious in some form, which I suppose would be appropriate; but it needn't be.

I imagine books that old must be quite rare and expensive by now. So maybe I should stick with the 1576 one after all. And I've left it until the last minute, as usual, which doesn't help.
        Actually I have few books from that age as I collect antiquarian books. I collect esoterica so that meets the criteria. I could sell you an early 1500 copy of Malleus Maleficarum. I'll want £20k for it though.

Also go and check out Ebay, you can set the dates there, sort by 'ending soon'
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've bought some nice books on ebay.

Antiquarian Collectable items - Get great deals on items on eBay UK!

But you're right, the prices can be quite hefty... a 1611 Great HE 1st edition King James bible has a buy iy now of £49,995.00

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I could sell you an early 1500 copy of Malleus Maleficarum. I'll want £20k for it though. ...
            Thanks MF, although when I said "religious", a manual on torturing and burning witches wasn't quite what I had in mind.

(or anything like as much as £20K)

Comment

Thanks, but entering a max publishing date there of 1547 gives:

This may be harder than I anticipated.
              Enter something in the title or author box, and put a date range in.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Whoever left the tag 'on the edge of my seat rivetting stuff ' is out of order!!

Antique books are exciting. Very exciting.

Living the Dream.

MF
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Something to bear in mind is that a lot of books printed prior to the 1550's were in Latin or Greek.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Whoever left the tag 'on the edge of my seat rivetting stuff ' is out of order!!

Antique books are exciting. Very exciting.

Living the Dream.

MF
                    Did they actually spell riveting wrong or was that you?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X