• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knee excercises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee excercises

I suspect that most peeps here will be of the age where the knees are starting to creak. Mine started to creak last night.

I was kneeling on the floor for a couple of hours figuring out some flat pack furniture. Aching all over, and when got up literally heard my knees creaking and popping away – like a knackered cv joint on a car sound.

I am going to the gym anyway for a spin class tonight, but could do with some tried and trusted knee strengthening exercises – Any ideas?

I am looking in your direction Mich……

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I suspect that most peeps here will be of the age where the knees are starting to creak. Mine started to creak last night.

I was kneeling on the floor for a couple of hours figuring out some flat pack furniture. Aching all over, and when got up literally heard my knees creaking and popping away – like a knackered cv joint on a car sound.

I am going to the gym anyway for a spin class tonight, but could do with some tried and trusted knee strengthening exercises – Any ideas?

Skip the class, you don't want to do more damage. Let it rest, should recover by next week.

This is what I call a typical Wilmslow thread
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Skip the class, you don't want to do more damage. Let it rest, should recover by next week.

Will try to resist - there is some top quality totty in the friday evening class!

Figured that spinning is good as not impacting the knee joints, was going to go for a run but no way can I handle that today - need another way of getting the blood pumping, especially as not able to make the gym until Monday. Will have a chat with my Yoga teacher on Tuesday as done a lot of stretching over the last couple of weeks in Yoga, I suspect probably just the joints complaining over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Rubbing is best, and easily done under the desk at work. It's best to rub fast, the more energetic the better, and don't worry if this causes slight gurning, everyone will know you're just relieving your ache.

Comment

I did my right knee in a few weeks ago, and the pain was pretty bad. I ended up having to get an 'A' frame installed in the drive to get me in and out of the car, and a sushi conveyor belt between the computer room and the fridge for fetching my beer and returning the empties.
          The worst bit was not being able to play 'Dirty Cowboys' with mrs EO

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Possibly a little overreaction? A bit of stretching before your spin class and you'll be fine.

I'm 48 and did a lot of running when I was younger - in those days we didn't have proper trainers etc so I'm paying the price for it now. I can't do any impact exercises at all. I cycle to work & back to keep fit which is 10 miles a day, use a rowing machine and cross trainer. I keep away from the treadmill and step machine. I'm just trying to make my legs last as long as possible! Running gives me shin splints which are the worst and last for weeks.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I'm 48 and did a lot of running when I was younger - in those days we didn't have proper trainers etc so I'm paying the price for it now. I can't do any impact exercises at all. I cycle to work & back to keep fit which is 10 miles a day, use a rowing machine and cross trainer. I keep away from the treadmill and step machine. I'm just trying to make my legs last as long as possible! Running gives me shin splints which are the worst and last for weeks.
              Have you tried glucosamine or condroitin supplements?
              You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

WSS, take it easy for a couple of days right now, perhaps do a bit of cycling or swimming this weekend, and next time you spend a long time kneeling, use a cushion or a mat. Kneeling on a hard surface cuts of blood supply and puts unnecessary pressure on the bones; I can't see anything in your story to make me think the problem is related to your training. As for 'strengthening your knee'; your knee is actually a collection of bones, ligaments and muscles, which can all be made stronger. Muscles are quickest to respond to training (weeks to months), then ligaments and tendons(several months), and bones take years to strengthen. If you're doing Les mills exercise classes, you will already be gaining strength in the muscles around your knees, quite quickly. Trouble is, your ligaments will take longer to adapt. So I'd advise you to NOT try and train the leg muscles too specifically until you've done a year or two of general training and given the ligaments and bones time to adapt. Don´t try doing stuff like heavy squats or leg presses yet; in fact, stick to the body pump/body attack, which gives you a much better general strength base in the longer term. Some of those machines in gyms are actually bloody stupid; people with poor basic movement skills or fitness are being encouraged to train one muscle at a time, thereby causing injury because the supporting muscles and the tendons just can't cope with the sudden increase in power. It's like sticking a V8 engine in a nissan micra without adapting the drivetrain, chassis etc; it'll sound great but it'll fall to bits within a few minutes.

So that's the advice; take it easy for a few days, then get back to your Les Mills classes. However, find a certified (NVQ or degree, not Les Mills) trainer at your gym or elsewhere who can look at your training and see if there's any imbalance or over/undertraining.

And by the way, I have at least one good knee. Actually, both knees are fine, but I have a chronic stress fracture on the top of my right tibia where the patellar tendon attaches; the only way to get through a rugby match these days is a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol/coffeine. Age overtakes us all some day. I know I should stop and let it heal, but then there's only a 50% chance of it healing, so I'd rather just take the pain and play; this is an example of do as I say, don´t do as I do.
                Last edited by Mich the Tester; 25 March 2011, 10:38.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The answer to that is...don't buy IKEA. Buy proper furniture already built and delivered for you.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    The answer to that is...don't buy IKEA. Buy proper furniture already built and delivered for you.
                    He's a permie.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X