• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's 200 billion debt timebomb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's 200 billion debt timebomb

Britain's £200bn time bomb of debt interest - Telegraph

The next Portugal?

I'm alright Jack

Worse, these numbers are an understatement of the true position. According to data aired at a Taxpayers' Alliance seminar on Thursday, once private finance initiative payments, public sector pensions and other off-balance sheet liabilities are taken into account, the true size of the interest bill will be more like £200bn by the end of the Parliament. I won't trouble you with the projected costs of social security and tax credits, but they are little less alarming.
    I'd like a break-down on that little lot, please.

Comment

"Against this backdrop of rising expenditure, Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor, accuses the Government of putting the economy "back in the danger zone" by seeking to apply at least a degree of restraint. Mr Balls is much more highly qualified in economics than I am, but he obviously understands nothing about the basic principles of finance."

Too true. As Balls was party to getting the finances into its current state, keeping a proper and honest balance sheet would have been a decent start.

Comment

Lets hope that the Star Trek future where money has no meaning is very very near. Either that or the Chinese and Arabs let us off as long as we buy their $200 pb oil and quality goods.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Too true. As Balls was party to getting the finances into its current state, keeping a proper and honest balance sheet would have been a decent start.
          Indeed, Labour have no right to comment at all on the state of the nations finances, IMHO of course.

I'm still struggling to see what Labour stand for. They seem to moan about every govt decision, which is fair enough as the opposition, but they're not saying what their own position is. Not that I care, I'll never vote Labour...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Indeed, Labour have no right to comment at all on the state of the nations finances, IMHO of course.

I'm still struggling to see what Labour stand for. They seem to moan about every govt decision, which is fair enough as the opposition, but they're not saying what their own position is. Not that I care, I'll never vote Labour...
            They are waiting for their policy reviews to come back in 2 years time I believe. By that point they might have Milliband not to speak like a fat annoying kid with a blocked nose.

I have noticed their constant attempts to try and wind up the Libs and get them to turn on the Tories has died a death.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Lets hope that the Star Trek future where money has no meaning is very very near.
              Are they communists, or is there a third way? Robot slaves do all the work and the humans have a life of leisure and choose work based activities purely as hobbies for personal fulfilment?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

"With no control over their own monetary policy"

What a load of tosh - ECB dropped rates and printed plenty of money, what other "monetary policy" should Portugal have?

The only policy they (and everyone sensible) should have is NOT getting into debt, that's why taking away from individual Govts ability to print money is a good thing and to a local "independent" bank like BoE.

Comment

It's being reported in the press today that Japan's repair bill could top £200 billion.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    It's being reported in the press today that Japan's repair bill could top £200 billion.
                    They'll manage it, plus big part of that money will go to local builders and get recycled in economy.

Comment

Working...
                    X