• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been zapped by a kitchen sink.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been zapped by a kitchen sink.

While cleaning up my cup at work an hour ago I got a zap of electricity off the tap, enough to hear the crack and my yelp and swearing from a few feet away. I still don't feel right.

When does static turn into the real thing? (they changed the boiler a few weeks ago...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Sounds like there is some dogy wiring going on. If they used the mains water pipe to earth the boiler ( common practice) and have stuffed up the wiring then the tap could be carrying a live current.

I'd report it your H&S bod so they can get it checked out and fixed if needed.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      While cleaning up my cup at work an hour ago I got a zap of electricity off the tap, enough to hear the crack and my yelp and swearing from a few feet away. I still don't feel right.

When does static turn into the real thing? (they changed the boiler a few weeks ago...)
      This happens because your body is highly charged. The zap is due to the charge you have accumulated flowing to earth.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'll call them on Monday. I doubt anyone will be in over the weekend.

Also no one else seems to be zapped. Strange.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

That's how is starts. One day plain Jane, Miss Normal, then ZAP a bolt of electrical energy fused with nuclear radiation and then your Clean Cup Girl! Out goes the Ukelele, in comes tight fitting spandex & super powers, fighting crime & saving children and having to wear a silly wig and glasses during the day to... Oh.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Sounds like there is some dogy wiring going on. If they used the mains water pipe to earth the boiler ( common practice) and have stuffed up the wiring then the tap could be carrying a live current.

I'd report it your H&S bod so they can get it checked out and fixed if needed.
            If that was the case then the live current would be flowing to earth via the path of least resistance, which is unlikely to involve Cojak, her shoes and the kitchen floor. It's also unlikely to have gone unnoticed for a few weeks.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If you had been chained to it properly in the first place the static electricity wouldn't have built up to dangerous levels!!!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's possible that it is intermittantly live. potentially lethal, so make someone expendable do the washing up till its sorted.

The main question, how to tell the difference between static and mains ?

mains will either kill you, or have you shaking like a loon

static wil make a big bang and a spark make you jump and frighten the life out of you

usually

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  mains will either kill you, or have you shaking like a loon
                  When I was a teenager I lent on a live transformer inside a hi-fi unit that I was fixing. I don't know if it was the input or output side but I remember shaking like a bastard, luckily I fell over and away from it (it was on the floor and I was lent over it).

I'm exceedingly careful with leccy since then.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    When I was a teenager I lent on a live transformer inside a hi-fi unit that I was fixing. I don't know if it was the input or output side but I remember shaking like a bastard, luckily I fell over and away from it (it was on the floor and I was lent over it).

I'm exceedingly careful with leccy since then.
                    anyone who's had a biggie learns to be extra cautious, like

dont touch a light switch is you have come out of the shower or are sweating
                    if a switch ever crackles, use a flannel or a sock
                    touch anything dodgy with the back of yer hand or elbow (so you cant grip it convulsively)

etc

usually

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X