• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone have experience of speculating on land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience of speculating on land

Such as buying plots of land without planning permission(which may look like a good bet) and then putting in applications over the years.

Seeing some interesting plots £50/£60/£100k which don't have permission, have tried previously, but there is a chance in the future.

Anyone done this? Pointers? Experience?

(Adding to that, has anyone bought any woodland at any point?)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I have some in-laws who buy land near the green belt and then they encroach the land by moving the fence once a year.

There is a plot of land near Basingstoke. It was just farm land. The guy put a few chickens on the land, then a caravan, then a chicken shed. He then got permission to build his farm house. He then got rid of the chickens and sold half the land for the next person to do then same.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

"My accountant advised me to put my money into land, so I buried it in the back garden."
      - Ken Dodd

Comment

An ex-colleagues Dad used to work for a guy who bought farmland.

This was well before the recent boom in land prices.

He must be (even more) minted now.

Not sure about what you suggest - take the recent boom - don't think there was much pressure to release greenbelt land.

Comment

Consider the plot & its location: is it near existing buildings, mains services, access routes?
          Many councils are getting wise to the speculative land buys & there are a lot of crooks out there, due to recent planning changes (industrial in to residential) you may be better off going with a brown-field site as you may be able to rent it for car parking whilst waiting for the right time to sell.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Seeing some interesting plots £50/£60/£100k which don't have permission, have tried previously, but there is a chance in the future.

This may be a scam where people buy farm land at the more usual £5-10k per acre, split them into parcels, and sell them off to mugs on the unsubstantiated premise that planning permission may be granted in the future.

So if you're going to speculate, buy the farm land at the normal prices and speculate that it'll be needed for food or biofuel crops in the near future. In the meantime you can rent it out to gypos.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I've got a subscription to plot finder.

Home | Land for sale in the UK from Plotfinder.net

If I were going to buy land/property I'd do it through a company.

1. Entrepeneurs Relief

means you only pay 10% CGT if you sell or close the company and dispose of the assets.

2. Stamp Duty

Stamp duty is much lower if you buy as a company.

The other option is to trawl through property auction brochures looking for knackeredold houses/bungalows on big plots with a view to redevelopment, get planning permission and then sell again through auction.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I've got a subscription to plot finder.

Home | Land for sale in the UK from Plotfinder.net

If I were going to buy land/property I'd do it through a company.

1. Entrepeneurs Relief

means you only pay 10% CGT if you sell or close the company and dispose of the assets.

2. Stamp Duty

Stamp duty is much lower if you buy as a company.

The other option is to trawl through property auction brochures looking for knackeredold houses/bungalows on big plots with a view to redevelopment, get planning permission and then sell again through auction.
                Cheers DP. Was just about to bump this myself.

Absolutely no point buying those speculative pieces where a developer has split a piece of land into 100's of strips. That's just a rip off.

Been on a lot of auction sites recently, been the the last two in my area but not got anything at the price I wanted. Rightmove is not bad if you change the criteria, that shows land.

Looking for other alternatives, farmland to lease back to a farmer, woodlands for sale, paddocks. I'd like to own a little more of Little England.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Primelocation has a farmland/land section too.

Land For Sale | UK Farms For Sale | Property With Land | Primelocation

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Looking for other alternatives, farmland to lease back to a farmer, woodlands for sale, paddocks. I'd like to own a little more of Little England.
                    I've thought about that. Don't think woodland has much potential, what can you do with it?

I've seen a couple of paddocks go around here for £3-4k an acre & for stable blocks to spring up on them a few weeks later. I guess there are no planning issues as the land use is still agricultural. Don't know what sort of returns you'd get though.

Comment

Working...
                    X