• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small Business Rates Relief - Is it applicable to IT contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Business Rates Relief - Is it applicable to IT contractors

I keep hearing about this and Business Rate Relief but I dont get what they mean

As an IT contractor does this apply

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    I keep hearing about this and Business Rate Relief but I dont get what they mean

If you mean business rates rather than rate, then this is a charge applied on business premises by the local council for services. Small businesses and new businesses in some circumstances get relief from the full rate.

So as an it contractor, if you have premises for which you pay business rates, then its possible you'll get some form of relief.

Comment

DA. If you do any work whatsoever at home then it means you're running a business from there. In theory you should declare this and apply for business rates. You probably pay £1500 or so a year in council tax, this would get replaced by Business rates and you can apply for relief on it. The business rates would be about £6k and you get a 20% relief. Failure to declare means you are committing an offense and could be jailed or deported to a penal colony, like your granddaddy. Don't be an idiot, best to phone the council on Monday.

Hth

MF
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

FWIW, a "mate" of mine managed to claim back "Relief" that he was given by a Romanian Masseuse whilst working in southern Poland some years back. As the receipt was all in Polish, he simply passed it off as an evening meal.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yes, but you must be paying business rates (not council tax). Business rates are much higher than council tax. A small shop will pay about £12k per year in business rates. A small office about £5k pa.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X