• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AA or RAC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA or RAC?

My RAC cover is due for renewal soon. Who do you prefer for breakdown cover, the big two or any of the others?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    My RAC cover is due for renewal soon. Who do you prefer for breakdown cover, the big two or any of the others?
    The one that my current account offers for free.

Only basic recovery, but I don't think I've paid for it for about 10 years. (current account charge is about a tenner a month though).
    Last edited by conned tractor; 27 March 2011, 18:19.

Comment

I don't think AA covers accidents while the RAC does and this is a big plus but not 100% sure about that. I was with the AA for years but the only time I had to use them I couldn't get through on the phone and had to call a local garage. I moved to the RAC after that but maybe things have changed.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I'd use the one that offers roadside recovery assistance and not half a dozen other additional services.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Always used to use Green Flag when I was paying for it myself. Never had any problems and they were always competitively priced.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I have to say I've had to call the AA 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years, and they've been brilliant. One time I was stuck by the road with a guy who was in the RAC, and he was less than impressed that after having told them on the phone the gearbox was broken and needed a trailer, it took them 2 hours to send out a patrol van to say "the gearbox is broken you need a trailer". Worse than that the RAC patrol bloke then radio'd in to say he felt threatened by the three of us (complete lie as two of us were sat 50 yards away eating some sandwiches), and the RAC refused to help him anymore.

When the AA truck turned up for my car, he then asked to join the AA.

All these cheaper options are probably using a network of local garages, which must vary enormously depending on where you are. I guarantee that if you're stuck by the side of the road somewhere, the £20 per year you saved on your breakdown insurance won't seem important anymore. I've always been tempted to join more than one, then you can use whoever turns up first.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Aren't the AA the fourth emergency service? Or is that just guaranteed to piss off the Life Boat service
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I picked the AA as they have more vans, it's a waste of money really as I drive Japanese cars.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I use the AA, but only because my dad does!
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Aren't the AA the fourth emergency service? Or is that just guaranteed to piss off the Life Boat service
                    That's right.

Police emergency: Help! I can see a bunch of yobs kicking a Pakistani and I'm worried he might die!

Fire brigade emergency: Help! My neighbour's house is on fire and I'm worried he might die!

Ambulance emergency: Help! My wife's just fallen out of a window she was cleaning and I'm worried she might die!

AA emergency: Help! My fan belt's gone and I'm worried I might miss the regional manager's powerpoint presentation at our quarterly sales review!

Comment

Working...
                    X