• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used Groupon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used Groupon?

I've bought a couple of vouchers off them and seen others which all look pretty legit... hotels or restaurants which I know the normal costs, etc.

But one voucher I bought last week became valid today, when I went to use it everything on their site has suddenly gone up 30-40% since Friday. Is that too much of a coincidence - nothing on their site mentions Groupon and it would surely put off regular customers, unless they figure the number of Groupon customers is far greater.

Anyone got similar stories?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Saw an offer for an hotel in Morocco. Went on to trip advisor to check it out and they'd put loads of positive reviews in themselves, but had been rumbled.

I still haven't been to Morocco.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Almost all the offers that have turned up in my inbox have been of limited appeal to me, group pampering, pyramid healing session, meal & massage.

I was kind of hoping for cheap prices on electronic goods and stuff. It seems a bit of a waste of time, at least in my neck of the woods, if you are not a new age health farm freak.

Ok for meals for two I suppose, but don't know if there are catches when you get there, like gravy is £10 a pour or something.

Lots of introductory offers. eg. First sewing masterclass lesson free.

etc.

Comment

AIUI Groupon's USP (from the VC's perspective) is that it appeals to women that lurv shopping as a hobby.

Apologies to the good ladies of CUK who aren't so dumb, and indeed to the good gentlemen of CUK who lurv to shop, but I don't think it has much to offer to those of us who regard shopping as something one does when needed rather than something one does for the fun of it.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Comment

HotUKDeals is better if you're a bloke

But then you do impulse buy then even so, like a Cookie Monster tshirt for £3, shameless boxset for £25 etc

You just get links to lots of useless tat you dont need, but end up buying grrrr
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Groupon is (in my view) rehash of bulk buying idea that was piloted long time ago at start of .com boom - kelkoo I think did that at first. The main difference is that Groupon attempts to focus on very few products at the same time.

I buy from Amazon and other proper shops.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              HotUKDeals is better if you're a bloke

But then you do impulse buy then even so, like a Cookie Monster tshirt for £3, shameless boxset for £25 etc

You just get links to lots of useless tat you dont need, but end up buying grrrr
              Agreed, though I reckon its better for anyone, and lots of very useful pointers as well, particularly once you start using the filter.

A different concept, but a lot more useful than groupon in my experience.

As to the OP's original question, I'd ring up the hotel/restaurant/whatever to clarify. Doesn't GroupOn normally specify a price? - in that case, any price increases should have no effect.

If it was a percentage discount that becomes redundant on its day of validity due to increase, there is grounds to at least threaten to pursue it with Groupon if they mess you about, its certainly against the spirit of the site.

Comment

There's no official link between the site and Groupon, basically the site has put all its prices up and the Groupon deal was to get £30 store credit for £8... consequently my £8 is now worth considerably less. But they could easily claim they adjust their prices all the time I would imagine, however cynical they might be about it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X