• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't waste money on your childrens driving lessons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't waste money on your childrens driving lessons

EU to ban cars from cities by 2050 - Telegraph

Back to the caves.

Ugg.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I quite like that idea

Not keen on this though:

The plan also envisages an end to cheap holiday flights from Britain to southern Europe with a target that over 50 per cent of all journeys above 186 miles should be by rail.
    If rail is so good why is it about a million times more expensive than a Ryanair flight that isn't massively subsidised like trains, and a lot quicker too.

Comment

As a responsible parent I have just booked my 12 year old a party at Mercedes Benz World.

It may be the only chance he and his friends get to drive a 4X4 off road in the unforgiving, wild terrain of Surrey, and I do think it's important to teach them about the way we used to live.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        If rail is so good why is it about a million times more expensive than a Ryanair flight that isn't massively subsidised like trains, and a lot quicker too.
        Oil is too cheap? Wait until it hits $1000 per barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          As a responsible parent I have just booked my 12 year old a party at Mercedes Benz World.

It may be the only chance he and his friends get to drive a 4X4 off road in the unforgiving, wild terrain of Surrey, and I do think it's important to teach them about the way we used to live.
          I wonder whether, in your children's lifetime, they'll consider it weird and socially irresponsible that we once drove around in cars that pumped pollutants into the air willy nilly.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I wonder whether, in your children's lifetime, they'll consider it weird and socially irresponsible that we once drove around in cars that pumped pollutants into the air willy nilly.
            Yes, CO2, the same "pollutant" you pump out with every breath.

Same pollutant plants use to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Yes, CO2, the same "pollutant" you pump out with every breath.

Same pollutant plants use to breathe.
              In large quantity. There is a more in car exhaust gases than CO2, and most of it is pretty toxic. Carbon monoxide, nitrous oxides, sulphur dioxide and particulates amongst others. Not good.

Here's the first non-eco-loony site (well okay the BBC)

BBC - h2g2 - Atmospheric Pollution from the Internal Combustion Engine in the Urban Environment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Oil is too cheap? Wait until it hits $1000 per barrel...
                Well, I wonder how cheap rail would be in relation to air if total cost of ownership were included. All the rails and stuff.

There's always an airship, blimp, zeppelin, dirigible or hindenburg. According to David Mackay, those could be about as efficient as rail, but without the rails.
                If useful cargo made up half of the vessel’s mass, the net transport cost of this monster airship would be 0.06 kWh/t-km – similar to rail.

Comment

Working...
                X