• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily commute. How long is yours?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily commute. How long is yours?

Hi all

I just noticed in another thread that someone mentioned a really long commute. (5 hours per day)

That made me curious. When considering contract offers/role specs I often have to think if the role is worth a longer commute.

Currently I have 25 minutes by car or 35 minutes by public transport. It is basically just in the opposite end of town from where I live.

How long is your daily commute?
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Mine takes about 25-30 minutes including walking. I can do it by bike in the same time.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Mine's about 10 mins by car, 20 mins by bus - permie (for now) though.

My longest was 2 hrs each way by train, plus 15 mins each end walking - 5 hrs. That was awful, leave home in the dark, back home in the dark.

Comment

I hate driving personally. Aside from the unpredictability of traffic and risk to life and limb it's impossible to get anything done. At least on a 2 hr train ride you can read a book, watch a DVD or get some work done.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Normal commuting time for me one way is 50-60 minutes. Longest commute I have done is 1hr 40 minutes one way. Any longer and I will stay away from home.

The reason is that if the commute goes wrong - which it does often in the UK regardless of what transport method you use - the time will easily be doubled. I've wasted many hours on station platforms, trains, tubes and in my car over the years just sitting there not moving.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I live in Leeds and work in Nottingham, approx 78 miles which I can do in 90 mins on a a good day, 3 hours has been my worse! To break up the week though I stay localling in a B&B on a Monday and Thursday though which means I can be a bit more flexible on those days so I can leave early on the Friday
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

25 minutes. Driving through Munich feels like London traffic, crazy driving, wonder I make it home alive.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                25 minutes. Driving through Munich feels like London traffic, crazy driving, wonder I make it home alive.
                I read somewhere that Berlin's traffic at rush hour was worse than London's - when I was there it was fine, almost quiet, probably because there's no jobs. Never drove in it though, always used U-Bahn/S-Bahn.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I live in Leeds and work in Nottingham, approx 78 miles which I can do in 90 mins on a a good day, 3 hours has been my worse! To break up the week though I stay localling in a B&B on a Monday and Thursday though which means I can be a bit more flexible on those days so I can leave early on the Friday
                  worst why is that so hard?

Comment

On this and my last gig my commute has taken about 30 seconds down 1 flight of stairs.

Previous gig was 280 miles away so I rented a place 5 mins from site and only went home every other weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X