• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage and Shareholders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage and Shareholders

Hi, Wife is shareholder in the company and I am looking for a mortgage but want it to be in my name only. Can someone please advice how her being shareholder will affect this?

Many thanks,

I think your confusing your company with you personally, a mortgage will be a personal issue based on your earnings as an employee (of your own company) you personally will apply for the mortgage so just get it in your name if you want, other employees (wife) will have no bearing on a personal mortgage application

please correct me if incorrect anyone

Comment

Spoke to one of those brokers which do contractor specific mortgages, he asked me this question i.e. am I the only shareholder in the company?

when I asked him how does it affect, he kind of did not explained. So am I here. Any more ideas?

Comment

Because this is a mortgage where they base your income on salary and dividends. Now if the wife is a shareholder and say has 50% of the shareholding, she is entitled to 50% of the dividends and hence your income is reduced accordingly.

You could of course pay all the profit of the company as your salary, but then you'll give over half to the govt to pay for bankers bonuses at bailed out banks instead.

Who do you hate the most, the wife or the bs?

Comment

Working...
        X