• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good good..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good good..

For once an article in The Sun has made me very happy. The tide is turning, the forces of atheism and secular humanism are in retreat. The truth is finally being taught in our schools.

The Sun

Can you Adam and Eve it?

By DAVID WOODING

A ROW blew up last night over plans to teach kids the Bible story of creation in SCIENCE lessons.
    GCSE pupils will study the Christian fundamentalist belief that God literally made the world in six days.

The strict interpretation of the Bible is totally at odds with Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution — and piles of evidence that the Earth is millions of years old.

But it forms part of a new syllabus to be studied by thousands of teenagers learning biology.

GCSE students following courses for exams set by the OCR and Edexcel boards will cover “creationism”.

Schools minister Jacqui Smith has said it is important for pupils to discuss the conflicting theories.

But angry teachers are calling for Christian fundamentalist teachings to be kept out of the laboratory.

Some fear it could spark demands from other religious groups to push their beliefs about creation in science class.

James Williams, science course leader at Sussex University school of education, told the Times Educational Supplement: “This is not science and to legitimise it like this is wrong.”
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

It makes you happy that kids are going to be brainwashed?

Shall we teach them that they can put their hand in a fire and they won't be burned? Maybe we should teach them to cross the road when the little man is red instead of green.

Chico, you are one sick ****!

Comment

You've not done the one where you plunge your hand into a pot of molten lead?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I also think this is a good thing, there are other things that they could include too, like Santa and the tooth fairy.

I expect the exam question will be something along the lines of "compare and contrast the theories of evolution and creation". No child will leave school in any doubt as to what the right answer is. Creationism is dead in the water.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I bet the wrong answers will be funny to read as well.

Unless of course you are marking the papers...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This vision is closer to the truth that any of the undoubleplusgood religous propaganda you cling to Chico.

Revel in our Age.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face -forever.

George Owrwell

Doubleplusgood

Forcing you To be Free

Last edited by Central-Scrutiniser; 10 March 2006, 11:30.
            If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

This is a great idea. It's not often that GCSE students get to weigh up the arguments of two different theories, rather then just being spoon fed the correct answer.

I got taught biology by a well-respected Christian teacher, whose line was "you're free to believe in it or not, but if you want your A grade, evolution's going to get you the marks".

Comment

One is a scientific theory, the other is religious hogwash.

Creationism ISNT a science and therefore SHOULD NOT be taught during science lessons.

Sure...teach the bloody rubbish during RE...but not during Science!

Mailman

Comment

First off, you should all listen to what the great man Bill Hicks had to say on this very point back in the early 90s (yes, the US has already been there).

Second, throughout the history of science, scientific theories have often come up against received wisdom, and there's often been a ruckus. It's wholly appropriate for kids to appreciate this within the context of a science lesson. They'll get a chance to see how the scientific case is put against the religious one. I don't think there's anything to be gained by bypassing this. If there's going to be a context in which both theories are discussed, it's as well that this happens in a science lesson, and in the discourse of science, as in an RE lesson.

Comment

will they also learn about our Flat Planet also
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X