• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Websites that don't load until...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websites that don't load until...

...you click on another address in the address combo box, then the website you wanted to view appears for a split second before the next one loads.

IE8 by the way.

What's going on when that happens?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...you click on another address in the address combo box, then the website you wanted to view appears for a split second before the next one loads.

IE8 by the way.

Magic.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

OS x, you know it makes sense...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Magic.
        Some of Churchill's technical prowess seems to be rubbing off.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

IE8 by the way.

Example please. Never seen this myself. I'm guessing you lot don't know how to keep a computer running and up to date.

It all just works for me, all of the time, no problemos.

Comment

One possible explanation is that browsers will block rendering (i.e. actually displaying the page) while scripts are downloading. If most of the page has loaded but there's a script it's still waiting for then you don't see anything.

Then, when you get tired of waiting and tell it to go somewhere else, it cancels the script loading. At that point the rendering engine says "Ah, we're not waiting for that anymore" and renders as much of the page as it has loaded. A moment later the new page starts arriving, so it clears the previous page away and starts with the new one.

If your computer was running at the speed typical in the days when IE4 was written, it wouldn't have time to get anything rendered in that short space of time, but now it can. Thus a minor implementation detail decided on by somebody in the late Nineties is shown to have mildly annoying implications once Moore's Law comes into play fourteen years down the line.

FWIW the blocking script is usually from an ad server (although Google Analytics has had a bad rep for that in the past, too). You could try hitting "Esc" or the Stop button first, as that will cancel the pending script download and might cause the browser to render what it's got. On the other hand, it might not - again, a lot depends on the internal implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Example please. Never seen this myself. I'm guessing you lot don't know how to keep a computer running and up to date.

It all just works for me, all of the time, no problemos.

Say's he who is using the latest minimal computer requirements as recommend by MS

(HAL 2020 - with more memory than the universe has atoms)
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm. Haven't seen that (as I rarely use IE8), but my Firefox is still afflicted with the bizarre bug whereby it goes into "mouse driven" mode.

In other words, all screen loading and animation freezes, except when I whizz the mouse round and round. So evidently mouse events alone are driving Firefox, and the timer is disabled or ignored. This happens quite often, and is completely baffling, although I haven't found anyone else who has seen it.

Usually happens after two or three days when I have been opening new Firefox instances, and have several of these each maybe with several tabs on the go, and a reboot fixes everything (until the next time).
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Say's he who is using the latest minimal computer requirements as recommend by MS

(HAL 2020 - with more memory than the universe has atoms)
                  I'm using a 12 core computer with 64 gigs of RAM and 4 SLI video cards running parallel on a 100mb direct to the backbone internet connection and it all seems to load within a few minutes no probs.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    One possible explanation is that browsers will block rendering (i.e. actually displaying the page) while scripts are downloading. If most of the page has loaded but there's a script it's still waiting for then you don't see anything.

Then, when you get tired of waiting and tell it to go somewhere else, it cancels the script loading. At that point the rendering engine says "Ah, we're not waiting for that anymore" and renders as much of the page as it has loaded. A moment later the new page starts arriving, so it clears the previous page away and starts with the new one.

If your computer was running at the speed typical in the days when IE4 was written, it wouldn't have time to get anything rendered in that short space of time, but now it can. Thus a minor implementation detail decided on by somebody in the late Nineties is shown to have mildly annoying implications once Moore's Law comes into play fourteen years down the line.

FWIW the blocking script is usually from an ad server (although Google Analytics has had a bad rep for that in the past, too). You could try hitting "Esc" or the Stop button first, as that will cancel the pending script download and might cause the browser to render what it's got. On the other hand, it might not - again, a lot depends on the internal implementation.
                    tanks for a useful explanation!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X