• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The electrical group.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The electrical group.

When I was a lad of about 13, I decided to join the school electrical group.
    This was a group of pupils, led by one of the maths teachers, who performed electrical tasks after school hours. These tasks included wiring, rewiring, maintenance and, most exiting, setting up the lighting for the big school events, like the school play, the carol service and the morning assemblies.

There were two of us that applied to join, me and John Scott, he was destined to become a star pupil and head boy, and the only one of two to get an apprenticeship when we left school . We had to take a little test in order to join, and that involved making a circuit at home, and bringing it in for inspection a week later. The circuit had to have a power source, a switch and a light bulb.

That evening, I got my fathers claw hammer out of the shed, and prized one of the laths off our garden trellis. I pulled the nails out, broke most of the splinters off, and got it mostly flat. Then I scrounged a big 1,5v battery and glued it to the wood, using bostik, attached some wire to one end then attached one of my fathers motorbike light bulbs. The switch was impossible, so I left two bare ends of wire that had to be touched together to make the light come on. I was dead proud of it. It worked, that’s what mattered, right?

A week later, Scotty comes into school with a big shoe box, opened it, and placed his effort down next to mine. It lay on a perfectly planed and varnished wooden base, the wiring pinned down in perfect symmetry, a proper battery in a proper mounting, with a big flick switch and a coloured bulb in a plastic mount. Mr Johnson was massively impressed. ‘Did you do this yourself ?’ ‘Oh yes sir’
    ‘I did mine myself as well’ I said, but no one was listening. I could feel the tears welling up as I pulled another splinter out of my finger.

Anyway, no one was more surprised than me, when Scotties dad, a professional carpenter, pulled him from the electrical group a few weeks later, no explanation given. This was my big chance, I was invited, accepted and then became the new boy in the electrical group.

It was fantastic. Spending hours every Tuesday evening, crawling through the roof, wall cavities and under the floors, learning about the kit and getting totally filthy with dust and muck. After a shower in the gym, we all sat around and ate fish and chips and drank coffee. I felt really grown up and accepted for the first time in my life, it was useful , productive work, and we could see the results when the lighting came on properly and the spots followed the head or the reader in the assemblies.

My speciality was the underfloor ducting. These are tunnels that run underground and are accessed by thick square covers that are removed using special keys. You walk across them every day without giving them a second thought. Anyways, its cool dark and dirty down there, more often than not the lekky is off, so you are using a torch, there are things moving around just beyond the beam and the tunnels run all the way to the graveyard in Sefton church. So they said. It was very easy to get lost in that dark labyrinth, so most people steered clear, but I loved it.

Mr Johnson was a typical maths teacher of the era, tweed jacket, brown hush puppies, military moustache, sadistic sense of humour. He was ok as a teacher, and he ran the group well. He even displayed a healthy interest in our hygiene. I say this because after the evenings work was done, we used to go to the gym for a shower. He would stand at one end, making sure that we all scrubbed up properly, and if the steam came up, he would run around to the other end in order to make sure he could supervise our showering properly.

One night, it was my turn to get the supper in, so I went off to the shower early, got changed, got the cash from Mr Johnson and headed of the 50m or so to the chippy in Magdelane square. I got a bit of a shock when I recognised my auntie working behind the counter, I didn’t know she worked there. She took my order without speaking, so I guessed she didn’t want the owner to know that she knew me, she took my fiver, then gave me change from a tenner. Brilliant, the electrical group could now afford some green and red filters – I was a hero.
    We practised for weeks, mixing the colours, mixing the spots and back lighting, I was given more and more responsibility even manning the main spot up in the big gantry. I was on top of the world.

A few weeks later, I was beetling around underground, got a bit lost and surfaced in a strange( to me) part of the school. As I clambered out of the duct into the dark corridor, I could hear noises coming from one of the classrooms. I recognised the voices, one of them was Mr J.
    I didn’t know what was happening, I was too young I guess, but I knew something wasn’t right, something strange was going on in there, dangerous maybe.

So I kept my gob shut , and beat a hasty.
    I never went back.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

You discovered the Subterranean Secret of the Scousers and were lucky to escape undiscovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      You discovered the Subterranean Secret of the Scousers and were lucky to escape undiscovered.

I'll be buggered if I'll go down there again

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I'll be buggered if I'll go down there again
        It's certainly a possibility.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'll be buggered again if I'll go down there

ftfy
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Hey EO, do you remember the Richmond Sausage Factory? It had that giant pig on the front, carrying a sausage over its shoulder:

Can't find a picture of it with the pig in situ but here's somebody's (not very good) Photoshop job:

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Hey EO, do you remember the Richmond Sausage Factory? It had that giant pig on the front, carrying a sausage over its shoulder:

Can't find a picture of it with the pig in situ but here's somebody's (not very good) Photoshop job:

it was by the old lift bridge, on the 28 bus route.

there was a post office just about where that photo was taken from, and one day I saw an airfix tiger tank in the window, i think it was five bob.

it took me two weeks to save up and I walked, about four miles from Netherton

must have been about nine or ten

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Sefton? Wasn't the Brook House boozer around there somewhere EO? Or am I thinking of the Aigburth Arms?

I paid my respects to Bacchus a few times round that way.

Comment

it was by the old lift bridge, on the 28 bus route.

there was a post office just about where that photo was taken from, and one day I saw an airfix tiger tank in the window, i think it was five bob.

it took me two weeks to save up and I walked, about four miles from Netherton

must have been about nine or ten

Was this the place?

EDIT: Ah, here's a pic of the sausage factory just before it was demolished - IIRC the pig occupied that rectangle on the left of the second floor:

Last edited by NickFitz; 30 March 2011, 13:26.

Comment

you have the correct road, but the wrong shop

the one with the tank was just to the left of here, the sausage factory to the right.

dead ahead is the litherland lift bridge, on the left is the red lion, and an undertakers(parrs ?) is just visible on the right

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X