• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Blast From the Past

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Blast From the Past

Saw something today that I haven't seen in years as I passed through Dilton Marsh Halt this morning.

5 young boys stood in line exhibiting a lightning quick swivel of the head akin to a Wimbledon spectator watching an Andy Murray serve as our 5 car unit passed by, each furiously scribbling down the number of his allotted carriage.

That said, I immediately called British Transport Police and suggested they be apprehended under the Prevention of Terrorism Act.

You just can't be too careful these days.

While I was travelling through the Stonebridge Park area away from Euston not long ago, three middle-aged chaps suddenly leapt from their seats near me pointing excitedly out of the window in an easterly direction. Apparently there was a special unit on a parallel track about 100 yards away.

It didn't look anything out of the ordinary to my untrained eye, and unfortunately I can't remember what they said it was, but it made their day.

By the way, did you spot my pun there? Untrained eye? I think a is in order!

Comment

Crosti-boilered BR 9F 2-10-0, hmmmm, my favourite....

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        By the way, did you spot my pun there? Untrained eye? I think a is in order!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          The diesel engine was originally designed to use powdered coal dust.

Not a lot of people know that.
          Do you mean that the combustion chambers were to be injected with a coal-dust/air mixture?

Did he ever get such an engine working?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Do you mean that the combustion chambers were to be injected with a coal-dust/air mixture?

Did he ever get such an engine working?
            He got it working with ground-nut oil (peanut).

You can also run a gas turbine on coal dust too.

Comment

Briefly.

The flyash doesn't do the turbine bit a lot of good really.
              Yeah, it's abrasive and acidic but hey, the principle is sound!

Comment

I think there was one of those steamy things around here one weekend.

Having investigated the thermal efficiency of the design (6%), I can see why they changed to diesel.
                I never was much of a kettlehead. Give me a thrash on a multiple unit any day!

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                  I never was much of a kettlehead. Give me a thrash on a multiple unit any day!
                  You're about as funny as Julian Clary but not as butch - by that I mean not funny at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    You're about as funny as Julian Clary but not as butch - by that I mean not funny at all.
                    I once went to a Julian Clary gig during the Glasgow Festival, and it was surprisingly funny.

I don't find Graham Norton funny though.

Comment

Working...
                    X