• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skype ver. 5 for Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype ver. 5 for Mac

I've just back dated to version 2.8

Terrible terrible, why did they try to MS it?

Move the menus around so no one would know where to look, if it works don't fix it.

The logon menu filled half my screen whereas before a corner

Reliability issues, crashes out in the middle of a conversation
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I've just back dated to version 2.8

Terrible terrible, why did they try to MS it?

Move the menus around so no one would know where to look, if it works don't fix it.

The logon menu filled half my screen whereas before a corner

Reliability issues, crashes out in the middle of a conversation
    Get a Mac.

Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Get a PC.

Sorted.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Every Mac Skype I've used is terribly confusing. They haven't tried at all to make Win/Mac versions consistent.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You are not alone. There've been a huge number of complaints: for example,
          At work, we use Skype to communicate. A lot of the people here use Windows computers. More than once, a Windows user walked by my Mac, saw my version of Skype, and said something to the effect of «wow, this looks so much better than the horrible mess we have on Windows!» It seems Skype has noticed that there is a discrepancy in quality between the two versions, and has decided to make the two versions more similar to each other. Unfortunately, instead of making the Windows version of Skype better, they’ve decided to fix the discrepancy by making the Mac version of Skype more like the Windows version.

(full story at Ignore the Code) or TechCrunch's Alexia Tsotsis' view:
          Skype users with any sense of aesthetic justice are pretty much in unanimous agreement that the user interface for Skype 5 for Mac is a disaster.

Comment

My favourite hate on Mac Skype is it insists on downloading every text communication I've had with someone since I last logged in. Since I usually use the PC, I might log on the Mac and wait while it downloads 3 months' chat.

What I don't get is why they are separate in the first place, rather than just using a cross-platform UI toolkit like wx/Qt.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Perhaps one of the most infuriating (might be wrong on this but it was not clear) issues is before calling in ver 5 I had to choose between voice or video call. In 2.8 I can switch between the two during the call. Perfect, never caused any problems.

Back on 2.8 now, phew.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X