• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wine Dine 69 Me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine Dine 69 Me

How many of you get wined and dined by the agent (69 not compulsory)?

In the last 8 years of contracting I've only ever been taken out once by the agent (Square One) for a drink and a Big Mac!

Is it just me???

Got invited 2 years ago, but couldn't make it.

Current agent keeps talking about it but hey it's just the usual BS
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Its just you.

1st agent sent me a bottle of fizzy and took me out once every six months.
      Second one arranged a very special xmas dinner for all his contractors.
      third one visited sight every 3 months and stumped up for lunch in the canteen (not over generous).
      Last one met me at the airport and drove me to the hotel on my first day and picked up the tab for meals and drinks. He also fronted up for dinner and beers even for the permies while we all watched footie in the pub once.

All in mainland Europe.

Not been with the latest one very long so not sure yet, but expect he will be tight.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I've been taken out by the client loads of times (and taken the client out myself). But the agents.

Comment

I've been in my current contract for just under a year and have met up with my agent twice for lunch, when he's popped in to see all contractors on site. Regularly go for lunch with the client, every friday down the pub!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Got taken out 3 times by Orion in 1998.

That was the last time.
            That was because Orion was annoyed after you ate Gemini and Ursa Minor...
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Got taken out 3 times by Orion in 1998.

That was the last time.
              If I had taken you out once you would have stayed taken out. Orion never was very good as a hitman. I would have used the daimond firing bamboo gun as designed by James T. I wouldnt have wimped out on finishing you off like he had a tendancy to do, I know what you giant alien lizards are like.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The biggest freebies Ive ever received was all expenses paid trip to the Rugby World Cup Semis in Aus, Americas cup finals in Auckland (both these were stink cause we lost!), round of golf with Tiger Woods when he was in NZ, received Ipaq's, laptops and hardware (for testing of course ) amongst other things...but those were all from when I was in a permie position.

Re contracting, well I got invited to an agencies 10th birthday at a private club (wish it was a private lapdance club! ) and it was one of those walk in, be carried out affairs and have had lunch and coffee frequently with my guy at MSB (he was pretty good, one of the VERY few agents Id actually trust).

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by jason986
                  How many of you get wined and dined by the agent (69 not compulsory)?

In the last 8 years of contracting I've only ever been taken out once by the agent (Square One) for a drink and a Big Mac!

Is it just me???
                  It was an agent of one of the big ones. It was him and us, two contractors. When the bill came he finally realised that he.... ops... accidentally forgot the credit card in the other wallet but that next time he will make up for it..... in a couple of weeks he resigned
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Don't wait for them to ask you........Tell them to discuss over a meal and you expect that as the Agent they will pay.....always works for me.
                    If you don't ask you don't get

Comment

Working...
                    X