• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biggest windmill ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest windmill ever

...7-megawatt offshore wind turbine [a medium sized power station generates 1GW, or 142 times that]. The turbine, dubbed the V164, will have three 80-metre-long blades, and will reach a tip height of 187 metres..."The energy needed to produce the turbines themselves will be paid back in around 10 months," he says. [and what do people other than the designer/salesman say?]

US company Clipper, based in California, is developing a 10 MW turbine, the Britannia, while a consortium of European researchers has been investigating similar-sized devices.

One Per Cent: Green Machine: Giant wind turbines to catch a breeze
    I've mixed feeling about these things as far as energy generation goes. I like seeing them on the landscape though, modern engineering marvels extracting energy from the wind, or sometimes just sitting there not turning.

How long before some AGW boffin tells us that slowing down the wind causes untold damage to the planet's climate and they must be banned (or tax heavily).

How long?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      How long before some AGW boffin tells us that slowing down the wind causes untold damage to the planet's climate and they must be banned (or tax heavily).

How long?
      Wind and wave energies are not renewable after all - environment - 30 March 2011 - New Scientist

Comment

"Axel Kleidon at the Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry in Jena, Germany, believes the laws of thermodynamics mean building too many wind farms could cause us to seriously deplete the energy available in the atmosphere."

Good grief, that's a lot of wind farms!

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
          "Axel Kleidon at the Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry in Jena, Germany, believes the laws of thermodynamics mean building too many wind farms could cause us to seriously deplete the energy available in the atmosphere."

Good grief, that's a lot of wind farms!

That's a lot of fields. Biology, geology and chemistry. Oh, and physics too. Jack of all trades.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            See?

I was right.

It's "The Subways of Tazoo" all over again without the humour.

Colin Kapp should be proud.

If he wasn't dead of course.

Colin Kapp

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! my eyes! my eyes!

Whoever thought that red text on cyan was a good idea?
            You are not kidding.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! That hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I've mixed feeling about these things as far as energy generation goes. I like seeing them on the landscape though, modern engineering marvels extracting energy from the wind, or sometimes just sitting there not turning.
              Yeah, I know some people complain about them blighting the landscape but I think they are rather nice.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

..."The energy needed to produce the turbines themselves will be paid back in around 10 months..."
                Whereas the fossil fuelled powered backup power station required to supply 80% of the time the wind turbine isn't turning won't be.

Or the imported energy costs when it's not running.

Or the fact that the National Grid operator can't get a time on demand guarantee from the wind turbine operator and will not use it in the mix to provide peak load.

Or it's broken.

Or the grid spiking effects that cause power station cycling turndown inefficiencies.

Or the new transmission line costs.

Or it's all a load of taxpayer funded nonsense that's been driven by the AGW eco-loons in the EU.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X