• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG and IR35

It's a bit like America and Al Qaedda, feign hatred and opposition, however actually need the bogeyman to justify policies (charges) and therefore existence. Discuss
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    It's a bit like America and Al Qaedda, feign hatred and opposition, however actually need the bogeyman to justify policies (charges) and therefore existence. Discuss
    +1... far too many people making a (very) decent living out of IR35 and the fear of IR35 for them to want it to vanish completely imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      +1... far too many people making a (very) decent living out of IR35 and the fear of IR35 for them to want it to vanish completely imo.
      Very true, although that doesn't include PCG.

For the record, PCG still fights for the total abolition of IR35 and the full recognition of the freelance worker. The aim of the current exercise is to limit IR35 only to those to whom it really applies - which may, of course, turn out to be nobody, although I doubt it - and to act as a deterrent to those tempted to incorporate as an F2M since their lovely tax-avoiding EBTs have been closed down. If PCG can get the typical jobbing contractor out of scope, I see that as a pretty good interim achievment.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

For the record, PCG still fights for the total abolition of IR35
        Message from the President

Originally posted by Chris Bryce
        Please understand that no political party is currently committed to the repeal of IR35 and some demands such as “immediate abolition” or “make HMRC pay penalties for failed investigations” simply will not be met. Asking for them would just make us look foolish.

Comment

And your point is?

I don't see that the two statements are contradictory in any way. Chris is talking about where we are now, not where we mean to be eventually.

More to the point, that quote is lifted directly from an internal discussion on the PCG fora which, as I'm sure you know, is a breach of their Ts&Cs.

Ignore me - it's in the newsletter that came out today. Sorry...
          Last edited by malvolio; 31 March 2011, 16:05. Reason: check the facts, mal...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The PCG is a "not for profit" organisation, which makes them very different to all the commercial outfits who've benefited from IR35.

I don't believe they are self-serving in the way that has been suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
              Message from the President
              Chris is the Chairman, elected from the membership. He's also a working BoS contractor. He's as keen to get IR35 sorted as any of us.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                My comment wasn't necessarily aimed toward the PCG, it just happened to be the topic of the thread.

What I was getting at is it's the IR35 contract reviewers & tax investigation insurers who have the most to lose if it was abolished and they probably aren't very keen on that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                  My comment wasn't necessarily aimed toward the PCG, it just happened to be the topic of the thread.

What I was getting at is it's the IR35 contract reviewers & tax investigation insurers who have the most to lose if it was abolished and they probably aren't very keen on that happening.
                  Fair enough, but there's a few on here think PCG has some kind of vested interest in keeping IR35 alive, so some of us who know better get a little over-defensive
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X