• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The opposite of the Midas touch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The opposite of the Midas touch

You know the Midas touch, the metaphoric ability to turn anything you touch into gold. Some people seem to have it. They seem to be able to influence anyone they meet or anything they work with in a positive way.

But some people have the ability to turn gold into tulip. Right now I´m thinking of the Dutch Rugby Union, and the explanation would be long and boring to those not initiated in the sports business, but I think this extraordinary ability applies to quite a lot of other people we meet in day to day business.

You know, the ability to take charge of some venture or activity that works very well and completely bugger it up beyond repair.

Can anyone think of a name for the ability to turn gold into tulip?
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 1 April 2011, 09:00.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

The Gordon Brown Effect.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, I noticed this many years back and coined the phrase the Madras touch (since too much Madras terms everything to tulip).

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
        The Gordon Brown Effect.
        The anti-Midas effect could be measured in Gordans, but as 1 Gordon is a rather large unit, the SI unit would probably have to be nanogordons.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          The Gordon Brown Effect.
          Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Yeah, I noticed this many years back and coined the phrase the Madras touch (since too much Madras terms everything to tulip).
          Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          The anti-Midas effect could be measured in Gordans, but as 1 Gordon is a rather large unit, the SI unit would probably have to be nanogordons.
          All excellent suggestions. Perhaps the effect could indeed be measured in Gordons, divided into Madrasses, representing a microgordon, and nanogordons.

Personally I would rank the Dutch Rugby Union on half a Gordon, seeing as they haven't yet managed to bankrupt the whole country's rugby, but have caused quite significant financial damage to several clubs and two commercial sevens teams, and severely damaged the image of the game here through their inability to apply their own stupid convoluted regulations and their decision to involve themselves in an international tournament that had been run very succesfully without their 'help' for 40 years.

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest in a semi-humorous fashion.

******* amateurish bunch of clueless ****witted idiots.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 1 April 2011, 09:20.

Comment

I was going to suggest Sidam Touch, but I like this:

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Yeah, I noticed this many years back and coined the phrase the Madras touch (since too much Madras turns everything to tulip).
            FTTFY (fixed the typo...)

My personal phrase is "The Didier Kiss of Death", after a former colleague.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Anyone remember the thread where we discussed the Kylie Monogue unit? Now that was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Anyone remember the thread where we discussed the Kylie Monogue unit? Now that was funny.
                I missed that one. Let me guess; women who improve with age? Or 'quite attractive until she opens her gob'?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I missed that one. Let me guess; women who improve with age? Or 'quite attractive until she opens her gob'?
                  IIRC it was a unit of weight, as used in the Mail probably. But then we found other uses for the Kylie.

Comment

The Madras Touch, nice.

Perhaps: The Adidas Touch?

Comment

Working...
                    X