• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Cash Accounting Entering & Exiting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Cash Accounting Entering & Exiting.

I've just done my VAT return and a minute after I hit the submit button I realised I've use Cash accounting method this quarter but not last quarter (or before)

Have I just paid VAT twice on my 2010 Q4 sales?

Is this going to come out all even, or should I contact HMRC to re-submit this quarter?

Thanks.

Yep. Definitely just paid last quarters VAT again....

Comment

Either contact HMRC and re-submit the correct figures, or adjust next quarter. Mistakes under £10,000 can just be amended on future returns.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks Clare.

if I recall, if I stick with accrual basis i've underpaid this quarter but only by a couple hundred quid.

I'll try and re-submit online (never seen this option anywhere though) but otherwise adjust next quarter i guess.

Comment

Excuse me for thinking out loud (in the hope of some pointers)

but here are the differences for each box - i.e my errors on this return.

A positive amount meaning I should have entered a higher number in this return. A negative meaning i should have entered a lower number in this return.

1. £270.00
          2. £0.00
          3. £270.00
          4. -£26.14
          5. £296.14
          6. -£600.00
          7. -£149.34
          8. £0.00
          9. £0.00

Of course that is if I correct back to accrual method. if I decide to stick with cash accounting then the differences are more significant.

Comment

Working...
          X