• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sponsoring myself for charity events

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sponsoring myself for charity events

What's the score on My Limited sponsoring me to participate in charity fund raising events like marathons/parachute jumps etc. ? My Limited is a standard set up, me & the missus are the only shareholders, minimum salary maximum dividends. Company does contribute to charities but less than £500 p.a.

Is there a limit ? what if I get no other sponsorship ? do I have to promote the company ? can I claim expenses from My Limited ? can My Limited sponsor nearest and dearest ? Is all sponsorship free from Corp Tax ? etc. etc.

Nothing dodgy, it's just I'm looking for an efficient and legitimate way to allow me and family members to participate in events without the hassle of collecting sponsorship from neighbours and work colleagues.

Thanks in advance. All advice gratefully received.

Originally posted by Company Man View Post
    I'm looking for an efficient and legitimate way to allow me and family members to participate in events without the hassle of collecting sponsorship from neighbours and work colleagues.
    My understanding is that it is supposed to be to promote your company. If you were a one man and a spouse LTD company the way most of us are then it may be difficult to justify spending money on sponsorship (effectively advertising) that isn't going to actually benefit your company very much. You would have to make a strong case to prove that it isn't just subsidising a series of jollies for yourself and connected people and no real benefit to the company.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Best thing to do is get the advice of your accountant.

However most people have discovered that it's better for them to personally pay any charity donations.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I believe that a company may make donations to a charity and write that off against corporation tax. However to provide funds to facilitate a charity fund raiser may not be tax deductable.

Comment

Originally posted by Company Man View Post
          What's the score on My Limited sponsoring me to participate in charity fund raising events like marathons/parachute jumps etc. ? My Limited is a standard set up, me & the missus are the only shareholders, minimum salary maximum dividends. Company does contribute to charities but less than £500 p.a.

Is there a limit ? what if I get no other sponsorship ? do I have to promote the company ? can I claim expenses from My Limited ? can My Limited sponsor nearest and dearest ? Is all sponsorship free from Corp Tax ? etc. etc.

Nothing dodgy, it's just I'm looking for an efficient and legitimate way to allow me and family members to participate in events without the hassle of collecting sponsorship from neighbours and work colleagues.

Thanks in advance. All advice gratefully received.
          I thought you were aware of rules around giving charity as you asked people to give to charity in one of your other threads?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...imited-co.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't do it as sponsorship, just make a donation.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X