• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewal Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Renewal Dilemma

Hi.. new to the boards, and would be grateful for help from anyone who can offer an informed response, so not just opinions please..

currently beyond the end of my current contract.. been here over 6m and given a 3m extn.. prob is, I've just had an interview for another gig that is closer to home and also targetting the industry I need to get a foot in the door on (grammatical #FAIL.. I know!)

So.. renewal kicked in Friday 1st April.. answered emails but did not get to work (car trouble!)... monday is day 2 of the interview process at the #2 client site... so if they offer me a position, what is my legal position wrt client 1?

I havent signed the renewal, but will have been exchanging emails and been on site for at least a 1.5 days in April if the offer comes across Tue
    If I get offered the new contract, I would like to negotiate a 1-2wk handover contract with the current team.. prob is they may make me stick to the 4wk notice period on the current contract.. but is this legally enforceable if I havent signed?

here's the response I recd from an Agency contact (not either of the agencies connected with the above scenario, obviously)...

"common dilemma... to answer your question technically if you haven’t signed the extension its not binding but contracts are always acts of good faith so what you risk by messing them around is a bad reputation and its not advisable to do this. I would probably go to interview, not sign paperwork and then negotiate a 2 week notice next week if offered – if you have a good relationship with your Manager they should understand. "

What he has said makes good sense and seems fair.. and I agree with this opinion.. my only worry is they force me to work 4wk.. but can they?

All this means nothing if my perf in the interview is pants

Originally posted by dubbM View Post
    Considering all of the above, this appears quite likely.
    Kneel before Bod

Comment

Hi.. new to the boards, and would be grateful for help from anyone who can offer an informed response, so not just opinions please..
      Not only are you new to CUK, but you appear to be new to fora and the internet if you don't want opinion!

The following post contents is opinion, not informed response. Feel free to ignore it all, if it's not what you want to hear.

currently beyond the end of my current contract.. been here over 6m and given a 3m extn.. prob is, I've just had an interview for another gig that is closer to home and also targetting the industry I need to get a foot in the door on (grammatical #FAIL.. I know!)

So.. renewal kicked in Friday 1st April.. answered emails but did not get to work (car trouble!)... monday is day 2 of the interview process at the #2 client site... so if they offer me a position, what is my legal position wrt client 1?
      You aren't beyond the end of your current contract - you have accepted the extension on offer by continuing to work there. If you walk now, then you breach the contract - unless the contract gives you the legal right to walk away.

I havent signed the renewal
      Doesn't matter - you have accepted the extension by continuing to work there.

, but will have been exchanging emails and been on site for at least a 1.5 days in April if the offer comes across Tue
      If I get offered the new contract, I would like to negotiate a 1-2wk handover contract with the current team.. prob is they may make me stick to the 4wk notice period on the current contract.. but is this legally enforceable if I havent signed?
      Yes, it's entirely enforceable. You accepted the contract, so deal with the consequences. Of course, the agency might let you out of the contract early - that's who it's with, after all. If the agency doesn't, then you either stay or you leave and take the consequences.

here's the response I recd from an Agency contact (not either of the agencies connected with the above scenario, obviously)...

"common dilemma... to answer your question technically if you haven’t signed the extension its not binding but contracts are always acts of good faith so what you risk by messing them around is a bad reputation and its not advisable to do this. I would probably go to interview, not sign paperwork and then negotiate a 2 week notice next week if offered – if you have a good relationship with your Manager they should understand. "
      Well put. Shame it's bollcks, though. It's not an act of good faith, it's a legally binding contract. Agents aren't lawyers, but their legal department might be (possibly).

What he has said makes good sense and seems fair.. and I agree with this opinion.. my only worry is they force me to work 4wk.. but can they?
      It might make sense and seem fair, but unfortunately, business isn't always like that. You may agree with his opinion, and that would be understandable (it's what you want to hear, after all!). However, legally, it's wrong.

Indeed. (That last one was informed response rather than opinion)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X