• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is it with CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it with CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW ?

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 18:10.
    Bwana

Cheap quality media.

HTH

Comment

<deleted>
      Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 18:10.
      Bwana

Comment

Aye.

The theory was that those optical disks can last 50 years - what a joke.

We are now buying LTO-5 en masse. Soon we might have a vacancy for Milan ...

Comment

I find that these are going the way of the floppy. The prevalence of USB ports in many devices, including home entertainment such as DVD players, TVs, mean that it's easier and more reliable to use a flash drive or external HD.

I too found CDs and DVDs I burned within the last 5 to 10 years that became unreadable due to deterioration of the dye (not surface damage), so did a big transfer of them all to a NAS.

Not really sure what the advantages of writable/rewritable DVDs are these days other than maybe cost per GB.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Flash USB sticks typically use poor quality flash chips that don't make the grade into proper SSDs, watch out if you plan to use them for anything other than storing some worthless photoes...

Comment

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
              Why is writeable disc (CD/DVD) technology so tulipe?
              It's a consequence of the die or material used. You'll find even blank ones "go off" after a while. How long they last depends on the quality of the disks and how they are written and subsequently stored. Leave one in the sun and it'll be stuffed in a week or two.

For CDs, you can get archival ones made with a different die that cost a bit more e.g "HHB" HHB CD-R74 Gold (10 Pack) at Studiospares

Alternatively, you can make marks in clay tables and bake them. They have a pretty long shelf life.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Aye.

The theory was that those optical disks can last 50 years - what a joke.

We are now buying LTO-5 en masse. Soon we might have a vacancy for Milan ...
              Tapes degrade over time as well. I'd be surprised if they are rated for more than 15-20 years.
              Last edited by doodab; 3 April 2011, 14:56.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                watch out if you plan to use them for anything other than storing some worthless photoes...

Yeah, I don't really trust anything anymore, including online storage.

Even HDs are susceptible to magnetic forces if there's a big increase in solar activity, so the only way to be safe is a mixture of SSD, HD, and paper!

Two NASes in different physical locations and regularly synced, is my current best effort at preserving my digital collection for the foreseeable.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Tapes degrade over time as well. I'd be surprised if they are rated for more than 15-20 years.
                  Indeed, that's why you take annual backups.

HTH

Milan

Comment

Over several machines have found them extremely unreliable. Use once is fine but use the option to treat like a hard disc and they soon stop working after a few saves. Reliability seems better the fewer saves you do, so now I always zip what I want to save.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X