• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power of Attorney (for someone without mental capacity)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power of Attorney (for someone without mental capacity)

OK time you lot to actually help rather than take the mickey.

Has anyone got experience of getting a POA for someone with dementia? All the forms I see state the person granting must have mental capacity and sadly my Grandfather no longer has.

He needs my help with day to day banking, has no estate and it has been agreed with the care home that the financial day to day is beyone his capability and makes him upset to talk about such things.

So, anyone?

TIA

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Sorry to here that Suity.

Hope you receive some treatment soon and good luck with the power of attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Sorry to here that Suity.

Hope you receive some treatment soon and good luck with the power of attorney.
      Thanks mate

Now we have the obligatory mickey take out of the way, anyone?

Comment

Have a word with the CAB. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Managing affairs for someone else
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          OK time you lot to actually help rather than take the mickey.

Has anyone got experience of getting a POA for someone with dementia? All the forms I see state the person granting must have mental capacity and sadly my Grandfather no longer has.

He needs my help with day to day banking, has no estate and it has been agreed with the care home that the financial day to day is beyone his capability and makes him upset to talk about such things.

So, anyone?

TIA

SY01

You're in for a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare, I'm afraid. You have to apply to the Court of Protection for a hearing. The process will take months. We went trhough it all with the better halfs grandad. More info here: Making decisions for someone where no Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney exists - Office of the Public Guardian
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I can ask the girly if you want, she has quite a bit of experience in such matters. Answer will be after 7 as she is on call.

Now are you sure you want MF to run your affairs?

Comment

I looked into this a while ago as we thought we might have to go this way for MrsB's Grandmother.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Office of the Public Guardian

If your Grandfather really is unable to make the decision to grant you power of attorney you may need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a depury of the court. This will grant you specific powers to act on behalf of that person ni specific areas such as financial affairs or personal welfare.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Have a word with the CAB. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Managing affairs for someone else
                doodab, might be an idea for solving the problem with your missus too.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I looked into this a while ago as we thought we might have to go this way for MrsB's Grandmother.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Office of the Public Guardian

If your Grandfather really is unable to make the decision to grant you power of attorney you may need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a depury of the court. This will grant you specific powers to act on behalf of that person ni specific areas such as financial affairs or personal welfare.
                  Thanks guys. This is what I was reading too. And that the court fees are a blank cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    doodab, might be an idea for solving the problem with your missus too.
                    What, an affair with someone else?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X